I just got the black screen when I tried to go to catch up

What is going on virgin media
0 Kudos
WilliamA
On our wavelength
Message 52 of 210
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 black screen bug?

I just hit what seems like a cross between the black screen bug and the Modern Family/Elementary bug. I was watching Mad Men on Netflix, Season 4 Episode 9 when it froze with a completely red screen (for a change) during the opening titles. I switched back to TV (which I had been watching a couple of minutes earlier) and there was the classic black screen - audio but no picture. First time round I was able to fix it by putting the V6 in and out of standby. I tried watching Mad Men on Netflix again, with exactly the same result - red screen in Netflix, then back to a black screen on TV. Incidentally, this time putting the V6 in and out of standby didn't fix it.

0 Kudos
tjc_2005
On our wavelength
Message 53 of 210
Flag for a moderator

We're essentially paying for a broken bit of software/hardware, still no update on the issue either. Give us some money off or fix the problem now!
0 Kudos
anthony_b
Fibre optic
Message 54 of 210
Flag for a moderator

Yes agree with that...there are so many issues at present but on different threads
0 Kudos
WilliamA
On our wavelength
Message 55 of 210
Flag for a moderator

Absolutely. This is getting a bit silly. In the last few days I have had Netflix  consistently failing on the V6 when it works perfectly using my TV's own app (with the V6 normal TV channels suffering from 'black screen' after the crash), catch up via iPlayer failing with (weirdly) a black screen with audio only, when once again the TV's own app works perfectly for the exact same programme, the 'standard' black screen bug after watching another source for a while (game console, Netflix on the TV, Netflix via the V6, Bluray player). 

Sometimes putting the V6 in and out of standby works, sometimes removing and replacing the HDMI cable, sometimes a full reboot of everything is needed.

I have read various theories here: supposedly it's because the HDMI cable is going through an AV amp or similar - nope, mine uses a high quality HDMI 2.1 cable directly from the V6 to the TV HDMI socket. Alternatively it's the cable itself - well I've tried a variety and all work perfectly with every source - except the various V6 bugs remain. Then again it's the TV failing to complete the HDMI handshake properly, the V6 is a model of HDMI compliance. This last one crops up in a number of places and, although I have no idea how compliant the V6 is, I think it's rather high-handed to enter the market expecting a wide array of TV manufacturers to fall in line with Virginmedia and alter their hardware/firmware to work with the V6.

What does puzzle me is how in some cases the V6 can serve menu-graphics and sound via HDMI but not the video picture stream. I assume that at some point these components are combined into an HDMI stream and passed to the TV. I also assume that a successful handshake includes a confirmation of HDCP compliance and that if this fails, the menu and sound, which aren't subject to HDCP are allowed though, but the main picture stream isn't. Sounds like something that Virgin should be addressing, whether by talking to TV manufacturers or by addressing failings in their product, rather than expecting the customer to chase after Sony or LG or Panasonic or whoever.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 56 of 210
Flag for a moderator

you and many others, but apparently I am not allowed to say that because I don't have a V6 myself.

the fan boyz  prefer that I shut up & let everyone thing the V6 is wonderful.

perhaps @frank_gm will stop by to explain how this is all your fault

0 Kudos
WilliamA
On our wavelength
Message 57 of 210
Flag for a moderator

It's easy to overstate this, because when the V6 box is good - it is good. Personally, now I wouldn't go back to my old Tivo box now; the slow response issues were just too much for me. But that's also what makes these glitches on the V6 so annoying. If there is a 'black box' involved then it's the Virginmedia response to problems. Never explain, never admit an issue, it's your television, it's your cable, it's your amp, there is no problem with the V6.

Humax, BT, Sky, Amazon: the list goes on. All these people make 4K video delivery boxes. It can be done. 

Em36
Tuning in
Message 58 of 210
Flag for a moderator

OK, so this was first raised back in December on this forum, a Virgin response (Kath_F) in January but nothing since. Is anyone from Virgin reviewing this to provide an update??

0 Kudos
anthony_b
Fibre optic
Message 59 of 210
Flag for a moderator

Once again I have the black screen...when are virgin media going to sort it out? I suggest each time there is a fault,customers should get a months refund
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 60 of 210
Flag for a moderator

Hi Em36,

Sorry to hear you're still experiencing problems with your V6 box.

I'll just need to know a bit more information regarding your fault.

• When is the screen going blank, is it after you take the box out of standby?
  • Do you have to reboot the box to get the picture and sound back and if so how long does it take to go off again?
  • What is the video output set to?
  • How is your V6 set up, are you using a surround sound system or is it connected directly to your television?

Hope to hear from you soon

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos