Menu
tjc_2005
On our wavelength
Message 41 of 211
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 black screen bug?

What is the progression on this then? It's been a while now and still no fix... pull yer finger out VM, you get paid enough by us each month.

0 Kudos
mattplane
Joining in
Message 42 of 211
Flag for a moderator

Hi. Just wanted to say that I am also having this issue. Anyone had any luck calling customer services or is this just a case of waiting for a software patch?
0 Kudos
Britlantine
Joining in
Message 43 of 211
Flag for a moderator

I have a Sony Bravia TV (non 4K, 1080p only) which the Virgin technician connected directly to the V6 box with the HDMI cable. We get this issue too - black screen, but picture. How could they sell this to us if it's a known problem? Can't even get through to complain - no email, webchat is only during certain days and hours and even then it's too busy to let me get through. 

Next step is Ofcom as they have clearly known about this judging by the posts and responses yet sold this to me without saying it could be an issue.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 44 of 211
Flag for a moderator

There was a V6 update in April that should have fixed the display issues, so can you give more information on what your setup is?

What exactly is the model number of your TV, and what are the display setting on the V6 box?

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
tboman
Dialled in
Message 45 of 211
Flag for a moderator

If a fix was applied in April, it seems to have made it worse for me. I used to see the problem occasionally, but now I see it almost daily, My setup is V6 box connected via HDMI to Yamaha RX-V681, which in turn is connected via HDMI to a Panasonic 58AX802b TV. All via HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 compatible ports with HDMI 2.0 specification HDMI cables.

I use an Harmony remote to turn on the TV, Amp and V6 box. When the problem occurs, maybe 50% of the time, I have to put the V6 box back on standby, then on again, then all works fine. It seems a timing issue to me. It seems that the V6 box requires that the TV be on and responding to it before it will display a picture. This check should really not be necessary. My old Tivo never showed this problem, but I guess that is progress for you :-)

Note that I have setup the Harmony to switch on the TV and Amp before the V6, so if it is a timing issue, the V6 box seems to be taking it's time to do it's checks. I have not tested putting a longer delay into the V6 start, which I guess I could do, but it already takes longer to start than I would like.

Regards,

Tony

0 Kudos
tjc_2005
On our wavelength
Message 46 of 211
Flag for a moderator

I'm calling BS on the so called fix... Nothing has changed, the problem is still there.
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 47 of 211
Flag for a moderator

tboman wrote:

If a fix was applied in April, it seems to have made it worse for me. I used to see the problem occasionally, but now I see it almost daily, My setup is V6 box connected via HDMI to Yamaha RX-V681, which in turn is connected via HDMI to a Panasonic 58AX802b TV. All via HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 compatible ports with HDMI 2.0 specification HDMI cables.

I use an Harmony remote to turn on the TV, Amp and V6 box. When the problem occurs, maybe 50% of the time, I have to put the V6 box back on standby, then on again, then all works fine. It seems a timing issue to me. It seems that the V6 box requires that the TV be on and responding to it before it will display a picture. This check should really not be necessary. My old Tivo never showed this problem, but I guess that is progress for you :-)

Note that I have setup the Harmony to switch on the TV and Amp before the V6, so if it is a timing issue, the V6 box seems to be taking it's time to do it's checks. I have not tested putting a longer delay into the V6 start, which I guess I could do, but it already takes longer to start than I would like.

Regards,

Tony

Are you switching on the V6 from a power-off state? The reason I ask is the my V6 seems to start almost immediately from power-on from standby.

Also, I always have my TV on first. With respect to the standard Tivo, there have been previous discussions on Tivo threads that the order should be TV before Tivo as, otherwise,there could be HDCP handshake issues, so no different from the V6. Unless the delay is due to the handshake having to take two hops, via the amp and the TV, then back to the V6.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
tboman
Dialled in
Message 48 of 211
Flag for a moderator

No, always have V6 on standby, not powered off. TV is always on first. In fact I have seen the problem when changing from another source i.e. Amazon Fire or Bluray player to V6. So TV already on and only switching HDMI input on Amp and taking V6 off standby. I understand the handshake argument, but why is the V6 box the only source that I have this problem with? It is not the only source that has to do a HDCP handshake.
0 Kudos
Britlantine
Joining in
Message 49 of 211
Flag for a moderator

Setup is Sony KDL40EX401 and like others I use the Harmony Remote (650 model). I also have an amp but the V6 is plugged into the TV - will plugging it into the amp help? The Sony takes a while to warm up and switch on compared with newer LED models.

Not sure if it is standby or not seeing as I have to reboot the thing so often, I hit 'off' on the Harmony which turns everything off, although doing it on the V6 remote didn't make much difference. 

Still not got through to the alleged customer services - when chat was finally available I got booted out when I entered my details and question. Not a great start, I've only been with Virgin a week or so. I just want the thing to work we only got a live TV box to make the visiting in-laws happy but it's causing more problems than it solves.

0 Kudos
Em36
Tuning in
Message 50 of 211
Flag for a moderator

Hi all,

The fix has not worked for my set-up either unfortunately. When speaking to the 1st line tech support they advised they were not aware of an issue and let me know how well their V6 box works, all good for them. When they finally spoke to their 2nd line support they confirmed that they knew of the issue but due to the varying problems people are seeing (i.e. mine is still happening everyday, regardless if I allow TV to warm up first, switch V6 on last, do a handstand and cross my fingers) others are only intermittent. What they did say though was that now that I had reported it again they have taken the box details to help with the investigation.

As it does not seem to happen on all boxes I'm surprised that we have not been offered a replacement box at this point, still waiting to see if that will happen.