Menu
piphil
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 157
Flag for a moderator

V6 black screen bug?

Yesterday we had our V500 and HD box replaced with a pair of V6 boxes.

The new V6 boxes are very impressive, and the limited testing I've done shows that streaming recordings between the two boxes over my wired network works well.

However, one of my boxes, thankfully the secondary upstairs box, has an annoying fault - after a period, the box won't display any content. The UI works fine, I can select things from On Demand, or Red Button, and I have sound, but no video. In the TV Guide, the Preview window at the top right is also black.

This didn't happen during the installation - everything was working fine when the Virgin staff left. If I restart the box, the picture returns. I don't know how long it takes the bug to happen, but it's probably in the region of an hour or so.

Is this a known issues, and if so, is there a fix? I don't see anything odd in this installation - the box with the issue is connected directly to the SuperHub 3; the other box has a pair of network switches between it and the router but is working perfectly.

Just thought I'd check here before calling Virgin for a replacement box....
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 157
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: V6 black screen bug?

Definitely an unusual quirk!

I don't recall this having been mentioned previously, so I'd definitely be ringing in.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
piphil
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 157
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'm not sure about the HDCP 2.2 - is that not a 4k only thing? Both my TVs are HD - although the one with issues is HD Ready (720p) rather than Full HD.

Support got me to restart and wipe my boxes; apparently there was an issue with the way the two boxes were set up with my access card. Not quite sure what the issue was, but apparently they changed something.

However, this didn't fix the problem, so I've been told to contact support again to get someone out to take a look.
0 Kudos

All Replies
piphil
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 157
Flag for a moderator

Additional info - when I start the faulty box, I have no picture or sound. The screen does show the Red Button icon, if the channel has it. Only when I enter the UK via Home do I get sound; still no picture though!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 157
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Definitely an unusual quirk!

I don't recall this having been mentioned previously, so I'd definitely be ringing in.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
piphil
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 157
Flag for a moderator

Ok, I'd searched the forums but couldn't find anything related. I'll give Virgin a call.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 157
Flag for a moderator

have you tried swapping the boxes to see if the fault is with the TV or the HDMI lead?

The HDMI port has HDCP 2.2 copy protection, that may be something to do with it

TechHive wrote:

HDCP 2.2 also includes a “locality check:” If the source signal is not received by the sink within 20ms, the source kills the connection. ;

0 Kudos
piphil
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 157
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'm not sure about the HDCP 2.2 - is that not a 4k only thing? Both my TVs are HD - although the one with issues is HD Ready (720p) rather than Full HD.

Support got me to restart and wipe my boxes; apparently there was an issue with the way the two boxes were set up with my access card. Not quite sure what the issue was, but apparently they changed something.

However, this didn't fix the problem, so I've been told to contact support again to get someone out to take a look.
0 Kudos
piphil
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 157
Flag for a moderator

Ok, for anyone else who might have this issue, which appears to be TV specific:

My TV is a Sony Bravia KDL-32BX300. It appears to have two modes of startup: a cold boot, where it plays a startup tone, and displays the Sony logo, which takes some time to complete (I haven't timed it, will do); and a second, warm startup, without the tone and logo, if the TV has only recently been turned off.

I've found that the lack of content, but with usable UI and sound, only happens on the cold boot of the TV, not the warm startup.

Resetting the V6 box fixes the problem, but is obviously not ideal.

What I have since found (and can be considered a workaround if accessible) is that the content picture returns if you unplug the HDMI cable at the TV (probably works at the box as well) and plug it back in again.

My hunch is that the HDMI module on the V6 box is timing out too early for my slow-starting TV. As HDMI is an encryption protocol as well as a display method, maybe the encrypted picture is then not being displayed, while the sound and UI is unencrypted and works...?

I don't know enough about how HDMI works technically to be honest; I'll feed back this information to the Virgin Media support team and hopefully they'll come up with a fix in firmware.
piphil
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 157
Flag for a moderator

A BETTER WORKAROUND:

Simply let the TV full "boot" from cold (i.e. simply wait until the Sony logo is gone and it displays the input mode/channel etc.), THEN turn on the V6 box.

This follows from the theory that it's some kind of timeout issue between the V6 box and the particular way this TV starts up from cold. Cold boot takes 20-25 seconds, which is a long time in my experience at least. So hopefully this might be a simple case of adjusting some timeout variable?

I'll swap the boxes just to make sure it's the TV, not the box.

jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 157
Flag for a moderator

Classic hdcp issues here. I remember similar when the tivo originally came out
0 Kudos
Ratterz
Joining in
Message 10 of 157
Flag for a moderator

I've got this also.  New v6 box today, but with a Samsung TV, although haven't had a chance to try everything as yet.  I'll have a play tomorrow and hope a new firmware will fix it.  The fun of being early adopters :-)

0 Kudos