Menu
gsteruk
Dialled in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

V6 and wifi

Hi all

I am considering choosing a v6 over my (now crippled - thanks for the software updates!) current TiVo.  A few questions though if anyone can help out.

My current TiVo is connected with a cable connection (no ethernet connection etc).  I understand the v6 connects via wifi or ethernet?  My superhub is in a different area of the house (next to a pc to connect to that via ethernet).  So my connection option would be wifi.  I am thinking of keeping the tivo for another room, but wonder - how will this connect?  Do the TiVos have the ability to connect via wifi too? 

Also, is there any way for the engineer to connect the v6 using the existing cable connection which currently connects to the tivo?  Or would another suberhub be needed to hardwire via ethernet?  And if so, would i need to buy or rent another hub from them?

Thanks, sorry for all the questions!

0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 and wifi

TiVo doesn't connect to wifi. It would need to be cabled. If you ring and order a V6 tell them you want the TiVo moved to another room so the engineers will do it for you at the time. 

The V6 will simp,e have the same white cable plugged into it after the TiVo us unplugged. The engineer can then connect it to your wifi. No extra hub needed. They may change your hub for a better one if they need to (if your on vivid 200 I believe) 

0 Kudos
gsteruk
Dialled in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that.  Would the engineer then need to run another cable to the tivo if it changes room?

If the V6 will use the same cable as the current tivo, then why does it need to also connect to the wifi?  The current tivo only uses the cable from outside, it doesnt need any other internet connection?

Cheers

0 Kudos
gsteruk
Dialled in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

oh and if the new v6 is now reliant on the wifi or ethernet, does that mean every time there are internet issues (which does happen) and the internet goes down, the tv service goes down too?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

gsteruk wrote:

Thanks for that.  Would the engineer then need to run another cable to the tivo if it changes room?

If the V6 will use the same cable as the current tivo, then why does it need to also connect to the wifi?  The current tivo only uses the cable from outside, it doesnt need any other internet connection?

Cheers

Because, unlike the TiVo the V6 doesn't have an inbuilt modem.  It requires an internet connection to download program guide info and allow access to on demand services.

The TiVo would require a VM coax connection in the room it is moved to.  The engineer will install this.

gsteruk
Dialled in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

ah thanks, that makes sense.  So the existing coax provides the tv information, and the wifi just for on demand and programme info?

Cheers

0 Kudos
gsteruk
Dialled in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

i have seen others mention that there is no scart (or active scart) on the v6 box as there was on the tivo.  Thats a bit unfortunate, i use the current scart to plug to a wireless video sender, so i can duplicate what is being viewed onto another tv elsewhere in the house. Even though its only sd, its all i need for another room.  That might well be a deal breaker, im not sure i really want more cables for another box.  Shame the new box will have less than the current one :-(

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

gsteruk wrote:

i have seen others mention that there is no scart (or active scart) on the v6 box as there was on the tivo.  Thats a bit unfortunate, i use the current scart to plug to a wireless video sender, so i can duplicate what is being viewed onto another tv elsewhere in the house. Even though its only sd, its all i need for another room.  That might well be a deal breaker, im not sure i really want more cables for another box.  Shame the new box will have less than the current one :-(

Correct, yes - the SCART output is disabled.

You would have to look into an HDMI splitter, then SCART converter, or an HD sender.

Not having SCART is a blessing - the SCART socket on the original VM TiVo was a forced bodge which took a good few firmware iterations to get even remotely working properly, and likely this one would be even worse.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos