Menu
roadtoad
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

V6 and recorded BBC programs now launch iPlyer?

Since the upgrade to the new V6 box we find that when we record BBC programs they are not saved locally but when selected to view, BBC iPlayer launches?

Is this now the norm?

BBC iPlayer is still very slow (even with 200GB Broadband) so we now prefer to launch our Apple TV which loads instantly and plays faultlessly.

0 Kudos
deans6571
Super solver
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 and recorded BBC programs now launch iPlyer?

roadtoad wrote:

Since the upgrade to the new V6 box we find that when we record BBC programs they are not saved locally but when selected to view, BBC iPlayer launches?

Is this now the norm?

BBC iPlayer is still very slow (even with 200GB Broadband) so we now prefer to launch our Apple TV which loads instantly and plays faultlessly.

The reason that you are getting the shows in iPlayer, is probably because within the recordings settings, there is an option to record from "Streaming Shows" as well as "Recordings"so when you record something, it's picking up the recording as a "Streaming Show" hence why iPlayer opens, when you select to watch it. Adjust your recording settings so that is only selects the sources as "Recordings" and not "Streaming Shows". 

Re your Apple TV - I have to agree that my Apple TV is a lot quicker to use for all streaming stuff. The V6 does work for me but I often sit there wondering if it's gonna start buffering midway(which it has done in the past) whereas my Apple TV, always works 100% faultlessly 100% of the time. Personally, I've just put this down to poor hardware and firmware of the V6, as both the V6 and my Apple TV connect to the SAME router over wifi. 

roadtoad
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 and recorded BBC programs now launch iPlyer?

Thank you for the heads up! I will check the settings.

Overall the V6 box is much,much faster than the previous box and we are generally very pleased with it.

Re the Apple TV v the V6, I think we have to admit that the V6 box is doing a lot more than the Apple TV which no doubt accounts for some of it's 'quirks'.

0 Kudos