Menu
somnolent
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

V6 and Denon amp don't play nicely together

Hi

I had my V6 installed earlier in the week. I'm broadly happy with it, but I've run into one issue which is bugging me...

In my setup, I connect all my AV devices to my Denon AVR-X3200W receiver and use it to switch between inputs. The Denon monitor output connects to my TV (LG OLED B6). This worked fine with the old Tivo box, but with the V6 the tv will sometimes go blank and show 'no signal'. This seems to be triggered by switching to certain channels or entering certain menus. If I plug the V6 directly into the TV, I don't see the problem.

It seems to point to a HDCP problem between the V6 and the Denon, but all other devices work fine (PS4, SkyQ, FireStick, AppleTV) and all inputs on the Denon are HDCP 2.2 compatible. I've tried two different (high speed) HDMI cables but it made no difference.

After the tv has gone blank, switching to another source and back or even power cycling the Denon doesn't restore the V6 picture (note that other sources still work OK!). Rebooting the V6 box does, but only while it's showing the boot screens. The Denon has the latest firmware.

Has anyone seen similar?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 and Denon amp don't play nicely together

Is the amp modifying the signal in any way (i.e. Upscaling it), before it makes it to the TV?
It sounds very much like the amp isn't responding quickly enough to the changes in resolution associated with switching to various channels or menus.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
somnolent
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Oh, just found something interesting - when the LG tv (automatically) went into standby, the Denon started playing the V6 audio :-) When I turned the tv on again, the audio stopped...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

So it's an HDCP handshake issue - the amp is delaying the signal getting to the TV and returning.

To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
somnolent
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply. I switched off anything relating to upscaling in the Denon. The V6 was set to output 2160 so it should have been upscaling everything automatically. As a datapoint, I was able to switch between several SD music channels, but when I got to HD MTV the screen immediately went blank.

I told the V6 to test all output formats whilst it was connected via the Denon and only 1080 and below were visible. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yup, so it's definitely doing it at the change of resolution - flick around the BBC HD channels and I expect you'll be fine also.

Based on that test the V6 doesn't think it has a route to pass through 2160p content, which suggests a lag induced by the amp into the HDCP handshaking process.

0 Kudos
pyrotenax
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ok .... this might be similar to yours , but different.

When I setup my new Sky Q box , my Samsung UHD tv wouldnt accept the signal from my Yamaha 4K AV amp no matter what HDMI cable or menu setting I used. After a while I found an advanced setup area of my amp that could only be accessed by powering the amp down , then whilst holding in a button under the main front flap powering up the amp.

A new menu appeared on the front display of the amp and I could navigate to a sub section that had some setting for HDMI 4K signal format

4_K_mode

I changed it to MODE 1, rather than MODE 2 and everything was ok after that

Running ASUS RT-AC88U with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware
0 Kudos
somnolent
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Right, something interesting I've discovered in the meantime: my LG OLED B6 allows each HDMI input to be switched between 8bit and 10bit colour. If I connect the V6 directly to the TV, both 8bit and 10bit modes work OK. If I connect via the Denon, 8bit mode works OK but 10bit gives a blank screen. However, my SkyQ box connects via the Denon and it works fine in both 8bit and 10bit.

Hmmm.

0 Kudos