Menu
twobells
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

V6 & ARC

Can I use my new (AMAZING) TV's HDMI 'ARC' input for my v6 so as to control all my remote functions from one control?

regards

0 Kudos
Duncan1977
Dialled in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 & ARC

ARC stands for Audio Return Channel - are you sure that you don't mean HDMI-CEC (or whatever your TV manufacturer may call it) - which is generally set up on all HDMI ports anyway?

Thinking about it - From memory, and just looking at my own TV - TiVo doesn't transmit HDMI-CEC information, so cannot be controlled by the TV.

0 Kudos
twobells
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your fast reply.

I have just installed a Samsung series 8000 SUHD and there are no actual tv connections, all the cables are on an entirely separate box which connects via a fantastic new Samsung standard called 'One Connect' which is the only cable going to the actual TV. This narrow box has HDMI, TOSLINK connections etc and one of them lists itself as HDMI ARC. When I researched the standard the source material suggested (as you kindly mentioned) Audio Return Channel. However, the standard also allows the user to use one remote for all the commands of the devices you have connected:

HDMI ARC EXPLAINED

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

That article doesn't say that ARC allows it, in fact it specficially says:

But the system [HDMI] was also designed to share more complex messages as a part of what’s called Consumer Electronics Control (CEC). CEC allows for a single remote to control features on up to 15 connected devices. There are virtually as many names for CEC as there are electronics brands: Samsung calls it “Anynet +,” for instance. Unfortunately, the system has never really lived up to its potential, and is often mistranslated or simply lost between components from different manufacturers

Neither the Virgin TV V6 box or the older TiVo support CEC.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Duncan1977
Dialled in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Is that the JS or the KS8000?

If it is the JS, then I probably have the same OCB as you (I have the JS9000's OCB) and ARC definitely has nothing to do with remotes, regardless of what might or might not have been said...

In actual fact, all ARC truly is is an extra couple of pins in the HDMI cable that are picked up that allow the return audio, nothing really any more fancy than that...

Either way, TiVo (at least Virgin's iteration) doesn't allow for HDMI-CEC control... 

Have a look in Menu -> System -> Anynet+ (Samsungs name for it) - and, that will probably be 'On', then back out of that menu, press source, highlight over your TiVo (HDMI4 logically if the same as mine), push the down arrow, and at the bottom is an 'Anynet+' option, click that, and you'll see what commands your TV can transmit / receive - if yours is even remotely like mine, all you'll see if your Blu-ray player / a.n.other source...

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
GarethF
Rising star
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

ARC is a TV function not TiVo.

I have the following set up
V6 -- HDMI --> TV HDCP2.2 input
TV ARC input/output -- HDMI --> Amp TV Output

Amp TV output set to control TV,
TV sound out set to HDMI ARC

V6 remote set to control TV. If I turn TV on, it turns amp on and I can control amp volume via V6 remote which is controlling TV (as TV sends volume command over hdmi to amp)
0 Kudos