Menu
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

V6 Wi-Fi or wired can you swap between

If you have the option for either a Wi-Fi or wired connection for the V6, can you swap between them?

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 Wi-Fi or wired can you swap between

Yes - the Ethernet connection will over-ride any WiFi settings - but it remembers the WiFi settings and automatically reconnects when the Ethernet cable is removed.

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS)
VIVID 350 Optical Fibre (350/20mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos
Telewest
Dialled in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I found that you cannot use both systems on the V6 at the same time and I think that
The network socket is switched off when the V6 is set up at the first time for Wi Fi.

So you may need to reset your V6 box to put the network cable into the socket.

As I set my Two V6 boxes using Wi Fi as I was replacing two old TiVo that were link by network cable I used the cable to link the V6 and they wouldn't link together ...

And been told here on this forum that they will not work ...

It would be nice to see VM change the software to allow the V6 use both Wi Fi & network socket at the same time or easy swapping. ..
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the replies. I will primarily be using a wired connection for the V6 but was curious to know if I could switch easily if required. I agree that it would be useful to be able to swap easily but I not sure that I would want both to be active at the same time. 

That can sometimes be the position for my laptop as I use both wired and Wi-Fi in my office as I sometimes have to take it with me to the server rooms. The latter are a mass of network connections that are best left well alone. However, I think that using both simultaneously is not desirable on a Windows laptop so prefer to avoid it and wonder if the same might apply on the V6.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The reply from sca1972 in this thread seems pertinent to your question. http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-V6/V6-FINALLY-installed-Question/td-p/3296112/page/2

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If I recall correctly, swapping from wifi to Ethernet (or powerline) is easy and can be done through the V6 menu system.

Swapping to wifi from Ethernet (or powerline) requires pulling the Ethernet cable and then rebooting the V6 which then allows a choice of wifi during the reset.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Graham_A wrote:

The reply from sca1972 in this thread seems pertinent to your question. http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-V6/V6-FINALLY-installed-Question/td-p/3296112/page/2

Thanks, I have added a post there.

¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos