Menu
c2me12
Tuning in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

V6 Wi-Fi/Lan/Powerline Technical Requirement

Hi everyone, I am considering a V6 to replace 1GB TIVO box. Having perused website and forum I do require some info and hopefully someone can help. 

Does the TIVO have to be hardwired (LAN) to Superhub/Router. I assume not but safer to ask.

Will it work with Powerline (answer yes I am sure but ...) and what is minimum speed over that to support decent service. (I get around 25-30 Mbps on my PS4 over powerline)

Will it work over WiFi and what is minimum speed in that set up (I know wifi variable). 

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: V6 Wi-Fi/Lan/Powerline Technical Requirement

It doesn't have to be hardwired, but it's advisable.

That speed might be ok if you're only expecting EPG updates, but streaming content might be pushing it - 25Mbps sustained is needed for Netflix in 4K.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Just remember though that the PS4 speed test isn't the most reliable indicator of what you're actually getting over the Powerline, and therefore what you might get to the V6

Do you have anyway of testing the Powerline connection with a wired computer connected to it?
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It doesn't have to be hardwired, but it's advisable.

That speed might be ok if you're only expecting EPG updates, but streaming content might be pushing it - 25Mbps sustained is needed for Netflix in 4K.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Just remember though that the PS4 speed test isn't the most reliable indicator of what you're actually getting over the Powerline, and therefore what you might get to the V6

Do you have anyway of testing the Powerline connection with a wired computer connected to it?
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
normanLinux
Tuning in
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

If you are interested in streaming from box to box, then the answer depends on the codecs used in the V6 box.

If Virgin are still using mpeg2 then "typical MPeg2 bitrates are ~16Mb/s for 1080i and ~12Mb/s for 720p"

I currently have two V6 boxes and can stream HD content comfortably between them over the built-in WiFi  (I have a Superhub2 AC).  I have V6 box/TV combinations in 2 rooms with the hub in a third.

I'm not bothered about streaming 4k as I have no plans to upgrade my TV sets to 4k any time soon.  I would even as to suggest that, unless you have  55" (or preferably larger) TV sets, you won't see a noticeable difference with 4k - although HDR would make a difference.

Chippy8
Joining in
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I have been told that I will need a powerline kit to use the function of watching programs across two V6 boxes. They stated that V6 boxes cannot connect to each other wirelessly, is this correct?

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I think they are just playing safe as people have had problems with 2 V6s streaming content wirelessly.

in theory they should be able to do it, and note they don't really connect directly to each other, both connect to the hub and streaming goes via that, and as wifi bandwidth is shared amongst all wifi connected devices, in less then ideal conditions there could be problems.

safest to have at least one v6 connected via Ethernet or powerline.

0 Kudos
Higuys
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi there, I have a V6 box and a TIVO box and can only link them via a LAN cable, I am however using Devolo 200 homeplugs (powerline) plugged into 2 extension cables and they stream OK.

I would like stream with the V6 box over the WiFi with the TIVO connected to the LAN if thats not possible what is the point of the WiFi

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Higuys wrote:

Hi there, I have a V6 box and a TIVO box and can only link them via a LAN cable, I am however using Devolo 200 homeplugs (powerline) plugged into 2 extension cables and they stream OK.

I would like stream with the V6 box over the WiFi with the TIVO connected to the LAN if thats not possible what is the point of the WiFi

Of course it's possible but dependent on the quality of your wifi signal at the V6.

Try it and find out.

0 Kudos
Higuys
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the fast reply, according to the V6 box network status I have a signal strength of 70% with 54Mbps over WiFi. I think that should be enough but I get a message saying the box cannot be reached because of a network problem.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Higuys, 

Thanks for posting and apologies to hear you are having an issue connecting via the V6 box. 

it would be best to reset the Network and get everything back up and running to ensure the handshakes are being made between each piece of equipment. 

> Firstly turn the Hub, Adaptors and the V6 off by the mains and leave off for around 5 minutes. 

> Double check the ethernet cables on the adaptors to ensure it's secure at both ends.

> Turn on the Superhub and allow time for it to be completely online. 

> Next power up the V6 and wait until you can navigate between menus without any hesitations.

>Finally turn on the Adaptors. 

Have you noticed any difference?

Come back and let me know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos