Menu
deans6571
Knows their stuff
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

V6 Vs TiVo - SAME OLD USELESS PROBLEMS.....

Just want to say that I will NEVER. EVER. Use my garbage of a box, which VM keep touting as their most "Smallest, Fastest, Smartest" box to stream ANYTHING, EVER AGAIN........

Tonight, for the second time this month, I put on a show on Netflix for my kids to watch (A Series of Unfortunate Events - the new season) but yes, JUST AS MY OLD TIVO USED TO DO, Netflix throws up a message, about 20 minutes in, to say that the box is not connected to the internet. It's a joke - THE BOX IS CONNECTED TO MY HUB 3 VIA POWERLINE ADAPTORS FOR **** SAKE. 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄😡

And the best part of all this - MY APPLE TV, WHICH ONLY CONNECTS VIA WIFI TO THE SAME HUB, can stream THE SAME SHOW 100% ISSUE FREE......

I will NEVER use my V6 to stream ANYTHING - ITS BLOODY USELESS🙄🙄😡😡 💩 💩💩💩

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: V6 Vs TiVo - SAME OLD USELESS PROBLEMS.....

Hi Deans6571

I'm really sorry to lean about the problems you're experiencing with your TV service recently.

I've located your account and run some tests on the set top box from our end for you, we're detecting some minor errors and I'd like to arrange for a member of the team to come and take a closer look, if you're available?

I've sent you information regarding this in a private message, which you can view by clicking the envelope on the top right of this page.

We'll talk soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

All Replies
gordy66
Up to speed
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Can you not try it with a cable just to see how it performs.
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

So the V6 connects via PowerLine and the Apple TV via wifi.

Have you checked the PowerLine isn't at fault here?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
deans6571
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

gary_dexter wrote:

So the V6 connects via PowerLine and the Apple TV via wifi.

Have you checked the PowerLine isn't at fault here?

...trust me, it's not at fault - I used to use the very same PowerLine Adaptors to connect my Xbox One to my Superhub 1 (before upgrading to the Hub 3) - and even that, was always able to stream stuff, 100% hassle free.

It's the V6 which is at fault - Netflix loads, I load the show, it starts, then about 20 mins to half hour in, it crashes to a  black screen showing a message saying something like "Make sure you are connected to the internet, yadda yadda yadda....". 

Weirdly, when I saw this screen I just pressed the 'Home' button on my remote, and it then did indeed take me back to the 'Home' menu of the V6, however, the tiles along the top of the Home screen, were all blank - like it had temporarily lost connection to the internet. I left it for about a minute on this screen, and the tiles slowly loaded back up. If I had then re-loaded Netflix, it would have then allowed me to continue with the show (this is what happened the first time Netflix gave me this error, but yesterday, I just chose to watch the remainder of the show via Netflix on my Apple TV).

It can't be down to a high utilization in my area (which I just thought of just now) as it would then also affect my Apple TV. If my Apple TV and Xbox One stream 100& flawlessly (which they do), I can only put it down the hardware - i.e. the V6.......................Smiley Indifferent

deans6571
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

gordy66 wrote:
Can you not try it with a cable just to see how it performs.

.....I don't really have a long enough cable to try as my Hub (Hub is in the most central location of the house, so the wifi can reach everywhere) and V6 are at opposite ends of the room.

CRonfire16
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I have 3 V6 and have no issues, 2 set up wirelessly and 1 Ethernet.

im on 300mb and never drop below 230ish

Try booking a tech out to test your signals etc?

TiVo was slow but V6 is so fast and since getting it hasn't dropped out once

Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you'll start having positive results.
0 Kudos
deans6571
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

CRonfire16 wrote:

...can a forum Mod please contact me then, to arrange a Tech to check signals???

tonyworks
Up to speed
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Just don't use it. Go down to their lowest package (for the internet) and use other devices for on demand services like the nowtv box or your smart tv. I have found it better and cheaper to do just that. I am now paying a very very low price to virgin just for a Tivo, phone and internet and I use my now tv box for everything else. Even with my monthly subscriptions to  nowtv I have found it faster, better and cheaper. And I am in control of it all!!

Tony

deans6571 wrote:

CRonfire16 wrote:

...can a forum Mod please contact me then, to arrange a Tech to check signals???

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Deans6571

I'm really sorry to lean about the problems you're experiencing with your TV service recently.

I've located your account and run some tests on the set top box from our end for you, we're detecting some minor errors and I'd like to arrange for a member of the team to come and take a closer look, if you're available?

I've sent you information regarding this in a private message, which you can view by clicking the envelope on the top right of this page.

We'll talk soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

deans6571
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Craig_D wrote:

Hi Deans6571

We'll talk soon

Craig

Hi Craig - PM sent.

Just to add some further info - since my original post above, I have since switched the connection of my V6, to WiFi and it has been working fine since then, Netflix continues to work as does the V6 other streaming functions (perhaps my house wiring had something to do with the PowerLines not working 100% effectively)..

Are you able to clarify what exactly, are these "errors" you are seeing from your end, as I really don't want an engineer messing with my set up if its all working correctly (which it is from my end)?