Menu
deans6571
Super solver
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

V6 - Very buggy?

Since having the V6, have to say that the TiVo interface feels very buggy - certainly doesn't give me the  'polished' feel that a brand new piece of tech should provide, to its user.....

Issues for me (which are still rife, within the whole user experience):

1.  Back to Back Recordings (with a 4 minute buffer either side, or with any buffer, for that matter) STILL results in pixelation of the second program right at the start. This has been happening since the previous TiVo days - WHY IS THIS CONTINUING TO HAPPEN ON THE V6???? Smiley MadSmiley Sad
  2. Randoms turning on by the V6, all by itself, Ok, I will admit, this seems to only happen about once week (sometimes less) and I always put it down to VM doing some sort of work in the area, which then affected the boxes in that area, causing them to turn on, however, that can't always be the case, so why is this STILL happening (plenty of threads on the forums to back this up).
  3. Random weird oddities?? an example - the other night, turned on the V6, turned on the TV (I always do it in that order). Everything came on fine. After less than 5 minutes, the screen of the TV flickered black but then instantly flickered back on again and up popped the TV's on-screen info bar along the top (where it displays the time, the date, the channel and resolution), like the TV had just turned on for the very first time!? Left it for a minute, and all well again. After another 5 mins, the same process happened again and then all back to normal again. And this repeated over and over until I decided to turn the V6 off and back on again (via the remote - not the switch on the back of the box). After that, all was well?!?! Never seen this happen before on my V6 and hasn't happened since, either?!?!? Smiley Frustrated

Seems to me that the V6 has bugs, either with the hardware or the firmware (I'm still on the old firmware where 'Quick View' is not an option - just for the record) which still need ironing out...........

dodgem21
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 - Very buggy?

I am on the new firmware. The dreaded spinning circle put in an apearence a couple of times tonight. Last night a deleted program refused to leave my shows even though it was saying it had been deleted by someone in the household.

Last week it crashed and needed rebooting.

Hopefully just teething problems and not the shape of things to come. Going to reboot it in a bit as its running slow tonight.

0 Kudos
Callinder
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes there does appear to be a few "teething" problems. I tried to watch a programme I recorded and at the same point it decided to reboot three times. All other recording seems to be OK. The spinning circle is a permanent fixture now whereas it was rare on the old TiVo.

0 Kudos
deans6571
Super solver
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

...that's good to know that I'm not the only one seeing bugs or 'teething problems' then!

Where were all Beta testers when this V6 was in testing - weren't all  these 'issues' supposed to be ironed out, BEFORE releasing high tech equipment like the V6, to Joe Public?!?!?! Smiley Frustrated 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

deans6571 wrote:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .   ....Where were all Beta testers when this V6 was in testing - weren't all  these 'issues' supposed to be ironed out, BEFORE releasing high tech equipment like the V6, to Joe Public?!?!?! Smiley Frustrated 

There's been months of beta testing but it really depends on what firmware you're referring to?   Personally I wasn't offered(or involved in) a V6 until ~6Dec and  ASFAICT the first beta RC4 wasn't released to Beta testers till ~28Feb and RC6 around 15March!

Apart from a couple of "self reboots" on original RC/4 firmware in first couple of months (so far now subsequently resolved on RC6) then V6 has had a quicker response compared to legacy Cisco 8620 Tivo until ironically this morning when navigating thru Recordings (My Shows) the response time was atypically delayed  and thus I subsequently forced a V6 soft Reboot instead?  

(However that may well be due to increased PostRS errors on higher 634MHz Tuners and thus potentially a  local SNR cable segment issue possibly specific to my connection).... the point being that.... 

You therefore also need to elaborate on your specific firmware/symptoms in detail (rather than speculating on 3rd party rumour) as hopefully a forthcoming imminent* RC version may well resolve your current issue(s) or perhaps only require an engineering visit?

NB: [*] ASFAIK VM/V6 Firmware Team have yet to publicly announced latest RC version release schedule yet...   Smiley Sad

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
0 Kudos
deans6571
Super solver
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

horseman wrote:

deans6571 wrote:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .   ....Where were all Beta testers when this V6 was in testing - weren't all  these 'issues' supposed to be ironed out, BEFORE releasing high tech equipment like the V6, to Joe Public?!?!?! Smiley Frustrated 

There's been months of beta testing but it really depends on what firmware you're referring to?  

You therefore also need to elaborate on your specific firmware/symptoms in detail (rather than speculating on 3rd party rumour) as hopefully a forthcoming imminent* RC version may well resolve your current issue(s) or perhaps only require an engineering visit?

NB: [*] ASFAIK VM/V6 Firmware Team have yet to publicly announced latest RC version release schedule yet...   Smiley Sad

Appreciate the response

My V6 is currently on firmware: 20.5.8.RC 12-VMB-11-C68.

Looking around the forums, it's obvious that many users have already been updated to the new 20.5.8.1.RC4-VMB-11-C68.

Reposting my original specific issues (the main 2):

1. Back to Back Recordings (with any buffer either side) STILL results in pixelation of the second program right at the start. I'm happy for a VM forum rep to remotely test my V6 and arrange for an engineer visit if necessary......

2. Randoms turning on by the V6, all by itself, Ok, I will admit, this seems to only happen about once week (sometimes less) and I always put it down to VM doing some sort of work in the area, which then affected the boxes in that area, causing them to turn on, however, that can't always be the case, so why is this STILL happening. Why can't VM once and for all confirm WHY this is happening? IS IT work being carried out in my area causing the V6 to turn itself on, every now and again (as did my old TiVo)? OR is it a V6 bug - in which case, add it to the next firmware update. Either way, we should be told why this is happening?!

dodgem21
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Cant view details of planned recordings now on either v6 box will show them but when you click ok on a programme the spinning circle comes on and it just goes back to the list.

Still doing it on both V6 boxes despite a reboot.

Seems that the Tivo software was just as much a part of the problem as the last hardware used for the Tivo.

We are on the new firmware as we can use quick view.

0 Kudos
BinghamBloke
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The issue is the hardware is all new and fast but the software is the same (almost) as what is being used on the regular TiVo.

Last night got home to my V6 and I had no 'plop' sounds coming from the box when moving around, moving through menus was sluggish so waited for a suitable time and did a soft restart.
Once that was complete the box went back to normal.

However regarding the pixilation of back to back buffers I get that and have done for years and it's just 1 of those expected things I find. It is only a couple of seconds but just live with it.

I have experienced a couple of spinning circles but still quicker than using my original TiVo just not up to the usual whizzy standard I have expect to get from V6
deans6571
Super solver
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

BinghamBloke wrote:
The issue is the hardware is all new and fast but the software is the same (almost) as what is being used on the regular TiVo.

Last night got home to my V6 and I had no 'plop' sounds coming from the box when moving around, moving through menus was sluggish so waited for a suitable time and did a soft restart.
Once that was complete the box went back to normal.

However regarding the pixilation of back to back buffers I get that and have done for years and it's just 1 of those expected things I find. It is only a couple of seconds but just live with it.

I have experienced a couple of spinning circles but still quicker than using my original TiVo just not up to the usual whizzy standard I have expect to get from V6

...I totally understand where you're coming from!

My V6 is exactly the same - it will work fine for weeks on end, and then suddenly, it will do a complete random thing (like the 3rd issue I described above) for absolutely no reason whatsoever!??! Smiley Frustrated

Definitely some bugs in the system and certainly not something an engineer visit would probably be able to solve......