Re: V6 Upgrade

Like a free box otherwise...
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 72 of 184 (897 Views)

[ Edited ]

SKY Q vs V6 .... FIGHT!

To be fair, they both have pros and cons.

Q starts off with 2TB of storage,compared to V6's 1TB (as far as we know)  but adding boxes to your Q set up  (mini Q's) adds no more. 1 V6=1TB 2=2TB 3= well you get the picture.

Q has "fluid viewing" which V6 doesnt

V6 has Series link+, which Q doesnt

Both do 4K, both do streaming to other devices, both do downloading to other devices.

So after that its down to content and price.

Everything SEEMS to point to V6 being a free or low cost upgrade- but a) we dont know till its announced and b) its ALWAYS going to be cheaper to jump ship and start a new contract term with another supplier....

Ive had a play with a decent Q set up and obviously with a V6, and they are  BOTH decent pieces of kit. I like the V6 slightly better , but that's not a function of me being an SU, its actually more likely familiarity with the GUI and I'm USED to having series link+ - I'm also more familiar with the remote. Im picky about remotes... Not a hugely convincing argument I know, but as they are much of a muchness it come down to that.

Id be happy to have either in my living room.

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 73 of 184 (887 Views)

What is the difference between series link and series link+?

Also what is fluid viewing? If it means you can pause and start in another room or on another device I believe this is possible with V6 also.

0 Kudos
Knows their stuff
Message 74 of 184 (866 Views)

cjp1 wrote:

What is the difference between series link and series link+?

Also what is fluid viewing? If it means you can pause and start in another room or on another device I believe this is possible with V6 also.

I'm glad you asked that cos I want to know that as well?! 

Series Link records from any channel already doesn't it so what benefits does Series Link+ have??? I know normal Series Link records from any channel because whenever I have set a Series Link up, I'm pretty sure I have never specified the channel....

Superuser
Message 75 of 184 (859 Views)

If you have a TiVo, you already have Series Link+ so it is self-evident what the differences are to previous Series Link function.

The main differences are:

Ability to populate My Shows from streaming sources in addition to recording sources.

Ability to set recordings from All available channels, rather than a single channel.

Bookmarking facilities.

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 76 of 184 (680 Views)

I have a Tivo downstairs and an old V+ box in the bedroom upstairs.

If upgrading to the V6 downstairs, do I have to keep the V+ upstairs or can we instead put the Tivo in the bedroom and dump the V+?

0 Kudos
Community elder
Message 77 of 184 (646 Views)

Ernie_C wrote:

If you have a TiVo, you already have Series Link+ so it is self-evident what the differences are to previous Series Link function.

The main differences are:

Ability to populate My Shows from streaming sources in addition to recording sources.

Ability to set recordings from All available channels, rather than a single channel.

Bookmarking facilities.

Both of us had Tivos back from the original launch and you must remember that there was a great deal of impassioned discussion on the merits, or not, of Series Links. And this was all due to the quality of the metadata.

Come Series Links+ and we appear to be having the same discussions. It is not unusual for the, perceived, quality of a piece of software to be dependent on the quality of the data it uses.

Some lessons have to be learned the hard way and sometimes they are not learned at all.

Nice to be able to post again, after their "mistake".
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 78 of 184 (464 Views)

I rang uo today on the off chance that someting was happening.

Agent told me that boxes were released to day and he gave me the first available booking on the 21st January 2017.

I was very, very polite and asked for an earlier date but was told this was the earliest possible.

So where are all the Engineers, presumably on standby waiting to take my £49,99.

I was not a happy bunny when I booked up in the first hour on day 1 to be put off until the 21st January next year

Dialled in
Message 79 of 184 (420 Views)

Hi could I ask what the £49.99 was for ? I hope you don't say that's what VM want for a hardware upgrade !!!!
0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 80 of 184 (406 Views)

Its installation charge,

on previous TiVo box there was £49.99 activation, and £49.99 Installation if I can remember correctly.

On this one, its £99 Installation, and £14 something activation for new customers, and as a promo, £49.99 for existing customers on top tier packages