Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 41 of 200
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 Upgrade

TheHandyTandy wrote:
Absolutely, the Android boxes previously referred to are a poor comparison given they're, you know, illegal. However - the point around performance still remains.

I'm disappointed to hear super users have the ability to delete posts deemed as negative. I would like to understand the criteria a post needs to fit in order to be deleted.

The point about performance does not remain at all. Especially as its two different platforms doing different things. TiVo buffers live TV, records to HD, Decodes MPEG2 streams to 1080i and displays them, all at the same time. No Android box on the market ATM can do that, and it will take a few years before theres any chance of one doing it. You need to move away from ARM and onto X86 architecture before you've any chance of doing that lot. But what do I know, I only build boxes that do just that...NONE are on android

Get a look at the price and spec of a modern freesat recorder with at least 3 tuners for an actual comparison. Then add in the cost of licences etc...

For the record I'm not actually trying to say the current gen TiVo is good compared to up to the minute technology- but make reasonable comparisons or dont bother. A 30 quid android box that does very little of the things TiVo does is a stupid comparison.

0 Kudos
deans6571
Super solver
Message 42 of 200
Flag for a moderator

TheHandyTandy wrote:

A frustrating evening of organising my TiVo recordings led me to this thread and I felt compelled to sign up and post my view. 

A customer of Virgin Media for 6 years at my current address, 5 years at my previous address. Currently paying £75+ per month. 200mb broadband, Full House and calls. 

The view of the 'super users' on this board is appalling - for paying customers each service should work as intended. The TiVo is so slow it essentiall makes the on demand features useless, due to the lag when using the box it took me over an this evening to delete and manage recordings, considering I can buy an android box on amazon for £20 which is lightning quick in comparison, a chrome cast, a fire stick, a now tv, all of these services are vastly quicker than TiVo. It is absolutely unacceptable to take the attitude of "well, go elsewhere". I do not want a dish on the house, simple as that. As a paying customer, it is my choice who I go to and considering Virgin Media is the primary competitor to Sky I would expect the service to be comparable. It certainly is not considerably cheaper to account for the terrible service the TiVo provides. I am so fed up of it now I primarily use the Xbox One and streaming services. 

I have to 100% agree with this. I haven't used my TiVo for streaming in over a year as it is, quite frankly, PATHETIC at doing so and RIDICULOUSLY slow. 

My Xbox One and Apple TV are both a million times quicker than the TiVo and I think I can safety say, BOTH WILL be quicker than the new V6 box too. That I can pretty much guarantee. 

Who wants to to challenge me in a speed test?

Smiley Very Happy

broksonic
Fibre optic
Message 43 of 200
Flag for a moderator

anthony_b wrote:

Surely those customers who have been with virgin media longer ought to have priority over new customers who will no doubt pay less...

You would of thought so wouldn't you but it seems virgin are more interested in pleasing new customers. 

0 Kudos
HavencroftKev
Up to speed
Message 44 of 200
Flag for a moderator

And what makes the TiVo's performance enen more annoying is I have had to call Virgin Media twice this week, once just now.

I have had error messages on some channels saying "this channel is currently unavailable, please check to see if this channel is on air".

0 Kudos
anthony_b
Fibre optic
Message 45 of 200
Flag for a moderator

I think you are dead right,old customers are constantly ignored but it will be interested how they look after us with the new V6 box and whether we get some discounts or it being free,especially with the constant price increases but what are we getting in response
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 46 of 200
Flag for a moderator

deans6571 wrote:

TheHandyTandy wrote:

Who wants to to challenge me in a speed test?

Smiley Very Happy

broksonic
Fibre optic
Message 47 of 200
Flag for a moderator

I've heard of these Android boxes but wondering why google would produce something that allowed people to watch pirated movies ?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 48 of 200
Flag for a moderator

Google dont produce them. Google make Android which these Chinese knock offs have installed on them. Most of the fully loaded boxes run the Android version of  KODI and the KODI devs have declared war on the pirates. So dont expect them to keep working.

nixzee
On our wavelength
Message 49 of 200
Flag for a moderator

It's the same with sky, they both try to get new customers on board by offering a good package to join. I would recommend signing up for a 12 month contract and taking advantage of the "New Customer" offers every year and swap from sky to virgin and virgin to sky every year as a new customer.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 50 of 200
Flag for a moderator

Done some testing on Amazon Fire TV and V6 side by side.

V6 pips Amazon fire to the post due to the structure of the menus if you want a "getting Netflix going from boot" comparison.

Youtube is as fast on both- if there's a difference its too small to notice.

But the REAL test is this. When I was vanilla TiVo in the room the grown ups used we switched round to Fire TV to watch Youtube- now we use V6. Fire TV languishes in the corner until I need KODI.