Menu
Crazymaniac
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

V6 Upgrade Woes

Hi there,

Have had a number of difficulties communicating on the phone and web platforms to discuss my package price, as I've noticed it could be potentially a bit cheaper switching to the new VIP bundle they have going with the V6s to replace some of our boxes. Almost had a successful transfer (with a slightly cheaper contract) via web interface up until the chat randomly decided to close, and now the staff I've approached on web chat aren't interested and ask me to call via phone.

As far as I'm aware, the cost of upgrading to two V6s should be £49.95 and £14.95 activiation fee. Looking at the new full VIP bundle price, I was hoping the cost would be slightly cheaper if we changed packages and kept our current features (i.e 3 boxes in the house, one TiVo and 2 V+), but it's not easy doing the calculations myself as the website doesn't let me few the choices myself. I've tried to call via phone on two occasions and have been offered between a higher contract cost (!) or a cheaper contract with about a £130 activation/installation/upgrade fee.

It's all a bit of a headache, so I'm wondering if anyone could help me with some figures so I have some ground to work with before I try again at talking over the phone. I'm generally wondering how much a third box would cost and how much is a transfer from V+ HD to V6, so I can try and work out myself how much I'm saving/losing from considering an upgrade to V6 in the household.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 14 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: V6 Upgrade Woes

Hi crazymaniac, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear about your confusion regarding the price. 

Checking the account it looks as though you were being charged for an installation when this is currently non applicable. 

I've gone in and added the code for free installation. Also as you're upgrading to the VIP Package this entitles you to the both V6 boxes for £49.95. 

I've added the relevant codes so the one off charges are now £49.95 + £14.99 activation fee, 

I have also sent you a private message regarding a quicker installation. Be quick and reply Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

What's your current bundle?

You should be able to check here to get a good idea: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-V6/TiVo-V6-Pricing-Explained/m-p/3281148/highlight/tru...

Bear in mind it may work out that due to the nature of the change you're potentially trying to make, upgrading to the new VIP bundle today, and then in 48hrs upgrading to the V6s might make things cheaper.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
Crazymaniac
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi, right now I'm on one of the older VIP Bundles, with a TiVo 500GB and two V+ HD boxes. Saw there was a new bundle on offer with V6 boxes at £120/month (as pretty as the lower price is I doubt that's for existing customers), but it's only got two boxes listed. I'd like to keep my three boxes, so would this involve £11.50 extra on top of the £120 if I was forced to get another TiVo or V6 (seeing as V+ doesn't seem to be offered anymore)?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

It might* only be £5/mth as you already have the 3rd coax connection and you just want to upgrade to a TiVo.

*serve with mountain of salt.

If you're on a VIP bundle that old (and I guess out of contract?), certainly give Retentions a ring.

To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
Crazymaniac
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Yeah, I figured conversation with retentions would be in order, I remember the engineer fixing our internet one time looking a bit confused how we're VIP and still have v+ boxes laying about. I believe we're well out of contract by now, will let you guys know how it goes.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

He was rightly confused!

Paying that much a month I'd be on the phone to Retentions 30 days before every minimum term is up!

0 Kudos
studio_54
Up to speed
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I contacted the retention team last year after my contract ended and asked to move to a new contract as if I was going to be a new customer to benefit from the cheaper deals.  I had a Tivo and 2 HD V+ boxes.

I was told at first that it wasn't possible, and when I said I may as well cancel and then sign up again, was told I would have to wait six months.  When I asked the agent if she thought it was right that an existing customer should have to pay £180 a year more than a new customer for the same service, she was able to approve a credit and discount which, over the course of the 18 month contract, made up the difference.

You need to do your calculations first by looking at your current bundle, and then comparing it against new customer offers.  You can get costs on the VM website if you don't sign in, and you can add elements to it. 

Then phone retentions and ask.  Be confident, and push them.  There's no way they can justify existing customers having to pay more, and there's nothing wrong with expecting initial discounts to apply, either.  Just make sure you phone them, don't do anything like this over webchat.  You need to be sure the person you are speaking with is updating notes on your account!

Good luck!

0 Kudos
Crazymaniac
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Well, I've managed to get in touch with retentions and get two V6 boxes to replace the two V+ boxes and a slightly cheaper contract (£129 instead of £148). The only concern I have now is the installation charges they've given me having read the forum posts on here about pricing. Lady on retentions checked and said there was nothing she could do to alter it, so wondering if a forum team member could double check if the number's I've been given for activation of two V6 boxes are correct. Installation is booked for the 2nd February so got plenty of time to check this through

Other fees, charges & credits
One-off charges & credits
Virgin V6 Activation Fee £0.00
Activation Fee £14.99
Manned Installation Charge £40.00
V6 Box Activation Fee £99.95
One-off charges & credits total £154.94
Other fees, charges & credits total* £154.94

0 Kudos
studio_54
Up to speed
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

You should check what the difference is between a V6 activation fee and a V6 box activation fee - why is the first free, but the second is nearly £100?  Any I'd also ask for the justification for the cost if you already had V+ boxes...  Also, what's the £14.99 activation fee for?

I was offered and received one v6 box FOC, no activation, no installation (which is lucky given I connected it myself whilst the two engineers stood watching my piano tuner...!)

Virgin V6 Activation Fee £0.00
Activation Fee £14.99
Manned Installation Charge £40.00
V6 Box Activation Fee £99.95

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Ok that's definitely confusing - you're paying a tenner less than I'd expect you to be charged for 3 V6 boxes to be installed.

First box £49.95, second box free, third box £99.95, £14.95 activation for any number of V6s = £165.

£40 attended installation charge should be waived as there is no Quick Start option.

When is the tech coming to install?

0 Kudos