Menu
Colinalbert
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

V6, Tivo Box set up?

I have a through lounge/sitting room with my super hub in the lounge television in the sitting room approx 16 feet away. My Tivo will be my spare box in another room adjacent to the sitting room approx 3 feet from the V6 .Each box is approximately 5 feet from a wall socket, which requires me to use power extension boards from them .What will be my required set up for the V6 and Tivo boxes to operate effectively ?As i would like to upgrade but feel nervous about doing so with my requirements and it not being able to work.

Colin
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6, Tivo Box set up?

The V6 will most likely work over wifi across that distance if there aren't too many obstacles in the way, albeit wired Ethernet or powerline is preferable.

The TiVo will need a coax connection to the VM network, and then either an Ethernet or powerline connection to the SuperHub if you wish to stream content to/from the V6 or use the Remote Control functionality of the TV Anywhere app

As long as any powerline adaptors you purchase are passthrough adaptors which will let you plug the extension lead into them, then you hopefully won't have any issues.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
PhilipF
Dialled in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

As far as I can see the wi-fi is for streaming back to an IPad or other such device, otherwise the v6 operate like the old tv box unless you connect to the superhub or powerlines via Ethernet cable.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

PhilipF wrote:

As far as I can see the wi-fi is for streaming back to an IPad or other such device, otherwise the v6 operate like the old tv box unless you connect to the superhub or powerlines via Ethernet cable.

Not quite - the V6 needs to be connected to the SuperHub to download EPG data, access app-based content (Netflix, YouTube, iPlayer, etc..), fetch software updates, permitting use of the TV Anywhere app as a remote control, as well as streaming to a phone/tablet.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
Colinalbert
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Do i need to specify over the phone when ordering the V6 what the engineer will need to bring for setting up ?

Colin
0 Kudos
PhilipF
Dialled in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I was asked if the hub was near the TIVO or if I had power lines I had the latter, I read they will sell you them but you may get cheaper elsewhere, I had some on test from Virgin some months ago Netgear 1000 and the work fine

0 Kudos
PhilipF
Dialled in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I forgot that bit and couldn't edit the post again you are of course correct.

0 Kudos
Colinalbert
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If i purchase my owname power lines how many do i need to buy and will the engineer still set them up for me ?

Colin
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi colinalbert, 

Thanks for your post Smiley Happy 

The V6 will need to be connected in order for your Catch Up and On Demand service to work as unlike the TiVo®, it has no internal modem. 

If you decide to purchase power line adaptors then the engineer will be able to offer general advice however they won't be able to set up for you unless VM equipment. 

Hope this helps. Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Colinalbert
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the information i will to inform Virgin when i order the V6 that the engineer will need to bring power line and possibly pass through power lines when they attend for installation , sounds a little drastic but I'm not that competent of doing it myself.

Colin
0 Kudos