Menu
Tom41
Dialled in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

V6 Self-install

We believe our 500GB TiVo box may be dying, so we are thinking about upgrading to the new V6 box and possibly Vivid Fibre broadband along with it. Before we do anything though, I’d just like to clarify something.

Our house is already cabled, so would we be able to install the new V6 and Hub 3 ourselves if the equipment was sent out? Or would it require an engineer to run new cables to our house?

We have done self-installs in the past with TiVo and Super Hubs, and they’ve always worked fine. However the cables running to our house are quite old; they were originally installed back in the analogue days so unsure if they would be compatible with new equipment.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 Self-install

Currently there is no self install option for TV V6. Also you need to be on Vivid 100 broadband as a minimum. The TV V6 fee is reduced if you take the Vivid 200 broadband option and have the TV full house pack.
pgcowie
Dialled in
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

The engineer who did our install said the SNR tolerances were tighter for the V6. He changed our old 3 way splitter for a powered one to improve things, so no self installs.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tom41, 

Thanks for your post and it's great to hear you're considering having the V6 box Smiley Happy 

As mentioned by others, self installs are not available for the time being. Whilst we're not giving the option for a self install, there is no installation fee to pay for a manned install Smiley Happy

Give the team a call on 150 / 0345 454 1111 so they can arrange for new V6 installation Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
gordy66
Up to speed
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

If you want a V6 box get on it now was just told they are looking at the end of February as soonest install.
0 Kudos
TivoFan
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Graham_A wrote:
Currently there is no self install option for TV V6.

This document says otherwise. Or perhaps they're going to be offering it in future and are just preparing for it now?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Existing customers who wish to get a better deal should call 150 then select Option 1 then 4 then 5, "thinking about leaving us".
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Self Install isn't currently an available option for the V6, but it will be at some point, so it's not surprising that documentation has been created.

Out of interest where did you find that link?
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
TivoFan
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

On a forum. Not sure how they got it. I did look over the help site and couldn't find it. Guess that should have been a clue Smiley Wink

Any idea when? Months, years? Smiley Very Happy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Existing customers who wish to get a better deal should call 150 then select Option 1 then 4 then 5, "thinking about leaving us".
0 Kudos
Dimbers
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Self install will never be an option on a new product, especially a flagship one. They need to ensure that any installed are set to specific levels, and these are more closely monitored than older equipment. If there are any failure they need to be sure that the box was installed correctly in the first place.

With regards to the cable coming to your house you dont need to worry, the same cable that was laid back in the day is the same that is laid today. Unless the cable is damaged there will be no need to change it.

0 Kudos
k1s
Tuning in
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

@Kath_F

Hi

I've just seen a £40 manned installation fee added to my bill despite being told by the sales person there would only be an activation fee fee of £14.99

Quote:Kath_F
"Whilst we're not giving the option for a self install, there is no installation fee to pay for a manned install"
0 Kudos