Menu
deans6571
Super solver
Message 1 of 49
Flag for a moderator

V6 Powerlines - is this REALLY the best option?

A question for you SuperUsers........

I know you all recommend the V6 be connected to the Hub via Powerlines, but thinking about it, is this REALLY the best and most stable connection?  

The way I see it, the only stable connection part of this is the physical connection of the ethernet cable from adaptor to the V6, and then the other end - the cable connection from the other adaptor to the Hub. Everything else in between (which completes the connection of the two), relies on old electrical wiring inside your walls - hardly what I would call "stable"......?!

You see, I don't think these powerline kits ARE the most stable and best connections (I'm happy to be told otherwise though!!!).

Take my set up for example:

I have these exact powerlines: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00D8BGLMY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

...connected to my V6 and yet twice this month, I have experienced a "lost internet connection" message halfway through watching a film on Netflix.  The only way to resume the film, is to back out of Netflix altogether, and go back to the Home Menu of the V6, give it a minute and then go back to Netflix and I can happily resume the film (which kinda proves that Netflix IS still indeed, connected to the internet).

Add to this, that my Apple TV, which sits RIGHT NEXT TO THE V6 and is the same exact distance from the Hub 3 (which is in the same room as the V6 - opposite ends), and is connected via my 5GHz wifi band, can happily stream anything from Netflix, with absolutely NO issues whatsoever (my Apple TV has been rock solid since the day I bought it - I have had it for years!!). 

Now, this can only be down to several things:

1. Signal issue? I don't actually think so. Why? Well, because if the signal coming into the house was a little off, it would also effect my Hub 3 and in turn, affect the wifi performance which would also affect my Apple TV - but it doesn't?!
  2. Hardware? Well, this is possible - the V6 is a new bit of tech and it's not uncommon for new tech to suffer from bugs, which gets patched with firmware updates later down its life.
  3. Electrical Wiring? Again, this is a possibility - perhaps the wiring in my house is so old and decrepit, it just can't keep a sustained connection between the two powerlines, hence the random "lost internet connection" messages from Netflix. As an  added point here, when I had my powerlines connected to my Xbox One (before getting the V6), I used to notice that download speeds (there is an option within the Xbox One Settings app, whereby you can test the connection and gives you stats of everything) were actually  SLOWER than when trying to downloading stuff via wifi on my 2.4 Ghz wifi network (had the old Superhub 1 and D-Link 615 router back then). This makes no sense at all....?!!? Smiley Indifferent

5Ghz wifi from my Hub 3 reaches all parts of my house (which is actually VERY surprising Smiley Surprised ) which has got me thinking - perhaps I need to scrap the powerlines altogether, and re-try connecting the V6 via wif again to see how it performs.....

Thoughts?!

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 46 of 49
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: V6 Powerlines - is this REALLY the best option?

Becuase wifi channels overlap by 2.

So channel 7 will overlap up to 9 and 11 will overlap to 9 so you are using 50% of all the channels. Sure people around you love you Smiley Happy

wifi-channels-1-6-11-1024x217.png

All Replies
deans6571
Super solver
Message 2 of 49
Flag for a moderator

I just realized that I've already tried using the 5GHz wifi band for streaming (detailed here: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-V6/VM-s-High-Tec-Box-DON-T-MAKE-ME-LAUGH/td-p/3298529 ) without much success.

The only thing I haven't tried yet is the slower 2.4Ghz wifi band - wonder whether that might prove to be better, seeing that every other wifi enabled device in my house now, is actually connected to the 5Ghz band. Might free up the 2.4 Ghz, just for the V6................

Can the V6 use wifi AND ethernet cable at the same time?!?!?!?!

frank_gm
Community elder
Message 3 of 49
Flag for a moderator

Personally I would not touch powerlines. There can be issues with powerlines as it is impossible to determine the different electrical layouts in such a variety of different customers homes.

My preference has always been ethernet and I have much of the house wired with ethernet cable and multiple switches. Watched a recording earlier today on my Cisco Tivo which was actually located on the V6. Have done it the other way round as well.  However, although I have not attempted to watch across the network via WiFi, the network layout would prevent this, all other aspects of the V6 seem to work fine over WiFi.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 49
Flag for a moderator

While I agree entirely with @frank_gm, not many will have their houses equipped with an Ethernet network.

For most, powerline adapters will be a viable option as everyone has an electrical network.

My V6 is connected by powerline adapters to my Hub 3.0 and I have an old TiVo directly cabled to the Hub 3.0 by Ethernet cable. I have seen none of the issues reported as V6 issues.

0 Kudos
Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 5 of 49
Flag for a moderator

Even that may not be possible for some as my downstairs and upstairs are on different electrical circuits (different fuse boards) so I have got wifi extenders which I hope will be good enough.
deans6571
Super solver
Message 6 of 49
Flag for a moderator

So I attempted again tonight, to stream something from Netflix, but the same old issue re-appeared. Half way through, Netflix throws up a message "No Internet Connection". Weirdly, running through the Netflix diagnostics on the "More Details" screen gives a green tick against EVERYTHING?!  

Going back to the Home Menu of the V6 and starting the show again works, but then, 5 minutes later, the show gets stuck AGAIN at 25% and so I have to resort to finish watching the show via my Apple TV, completes 100% hassle free.

I am beginning to wonder if the actual Netflix app on the V6 is actually BORKED! It makes NO SENSE that my V6 can't stream a 40 minute show successfully whilst connected to power lines and yet my Apple TV is issue free streaming the same show via 5Ghz wifi???? 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 49
Flag for a moderator

I would suspect your combination of powerline adapters and electrical wiring, rather than the V6 Netflix app.

My powerlines have twice the capacity of yours:

NETGEAR PLW1000-100UKS 1000 Mbps Powerline Ethernet WiFi Adapter Homeplug Access Point, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz 802.11 b/g/n/a, (1 Gigabit Ethernet Port) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01B4X4W6O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_3Q6Iyb5W4FFYR

It's easy to assume the problem lies with something other than your own components.

0 Kudos
tonyworks
Up to speed
Message 8 of 49
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I see no reason why the V6 cannot use the wifi on 2.4Ghz. My smart tv can stream all the channels through this connection so why can't the V6?

You only need a few Mb/s per hd channel (I think about 5 or 6 Mb/s would do per stream) so the 30+Mb/s should be more than good enough. 

Tony

0 Kudos
Thescouselander
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 49
Flag for a moderator

Have you tried changing the ethernet cable to your V6 box?  I just got mine today and noticed if I move the yellow cable that was supplied to connect the box to the hub it disconnects from the internet.  A replacement cable solved the problem.

0 Kudos
deans6571
Super solver
Message 10 of 49
Flag for a moderator

Thescouselander wrote:

Have you tried changing the ethernet cable to your V6 box?  I just got mine today and noticed if I move the yellow cable that was supplied to connect the box to the hub it disconnects from the internet.  A replacement cable solved the problem.

I'm using the Ethernet cables which came with my power line adaptors so can't see the cables being an issue if I'm honest.