Menu
pete_dl
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

V6 Power consumption

I'm interested to know how green this box is. Would someone mind measuring the standby power consumption and also switched on, watching one channel ?

Thanks,

Peter.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
fiesata
Dialled in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: V6 Power consumption

I Googled this and couldn't find an answer so used my plug in power meter to test it myself

I found that on standby the V6 used 11 watts and when recording or you are watching TV used 18-20 watts

So on standby would use approx 96Kw hours and being used 24 hours a day would use approx 175 Kw hours per year

Therefore on average we can assume around 136 Kw hours for the average user at say 15p-20p per Kw hour would cost £20 to £27 a year to run which is pretty good

Full marks to VM on providing  a vast improvement to the Samsung TIVO box I had before

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Some details about it's power consumption here http://store.virginmedia.com/content/dam/eSales/corporate/VirginTVV6boxfactsheet.pdf

Power consumption/Power saving features
• Low Network Availability (LoNA) device - complies with Commission Regulation (EU) No 1275/2008 (as amended by Regulation (EC) No 801/2013)

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
fiesata
Dialled in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I Googled this and couldn't find an answer so used my plug in power meter to test it myself

I found that on standby the V6 used 11 watts and when recording or you are watching TV used 18-20 watts

So on standby would use approx 96Kw hours and being used 24 hours a day would use approx 175 Kw hours per year

Therefore on average we can assume around 136 Kw hours for the average user at say 15p-20p per Kw hour would cost £20 to £27 a year to run which is pretty good

Full marks to VM on providing  a vast improvement to the Samsung TIVO box I had before

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

pete_dl wrote:

I'm interested to know how green this box is. Would someone mind measuring the standby power consumption and also switched on, watching one channel ?

Thanks,

Peter.

No personal disrespect intended, but ....

We are in the 21str century and electricity usage is going to shoot up.  It's not the Tivo that needs to be green, just the means of producing electricity.  It's not as if these small household devices need to be fitted with a 3KW heating element.

And another thing, the EU has plans to ban high power kettles for "green" reasons.   Don't those idiots realise that the lower power will have to be applied for longer to boil the water and the same number of KW hours will be used?

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
vircom
Well-informed
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Soon to be followed by slow running taps to save water.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Sephiroth
The EU directive for the kettles requires that they initially reduce the pressure in the kettle to half an atmosphere so that the water boils at a lower temperature, thus saving electricity.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Ernie_C wrote:
@Sephiroth
The EU directive for the kettles requires that they initially reduce the pressure in the kettle to half an atmosphere so that the water boils at a lower temperature, thus saving electricity.

If they make the inside of a kettle a vacuum it will boil without electricity  

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Ernie_C wrote:
@Sephiroth

Even were that to be the case, it's twice as stupid. Because when you pour the water into the teapot, it will not be as hot as is required to make the brew.

So - you were joking, Ernie. No?

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I was joking. I no longer read EU directives now we're leaving.

We all know that the correct action to be green with any kettle is to only boil water you use.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

do get a tasimo like me and only drink from that. Pods are wasteful but the EU doesn't care about that its not in the targets Smiley Tongue
0 Kudos