Menu
alanplum241276
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

V6 Power and Black Screen issue

Hi All,

So I had my V6 installed yesterday to replace my Tivo.  Much faster box so happy with that.

The problems:

The first problem I noticed is that at random times the TV goes black for about a second.  I assumed this may be signal loss.

After some diagnosis, I pushed the HOME key so it brings up the menu system, and noticed that the screen goes completely black, so not a signal problem, more of an HDMI problem.  (If it was a signal problem I would have guessed that only the little window in the top right went blank and not the whole screen)
My power levels seem fine anyway with most tuners at 100% signal strength and around 41db SNR.

I have a 4K UHD KS8000 Samsung TV connected directly to the V6 via HDMI.
I have found that the only way to stop this happening was to reduce the video output of the V6 from 2160 to 1080p.  Since doing this, the black screen problem is no more.
Seems a bit of a stupid workaround.
Any ideas what may be happening here?  HDCP or something?

Second Problem

My wife phoned me at work this morning to tell me the "TV isn't working"
After some diagnosis, the V6 quite simply wouldn't turn on.
I have power saving set to OFF on the V6, but we still put it into Standby at night (Red Light)
No amount of clicking on the peanut would start the V6 so I had to get her to use the rocker switch to power it Off/On
I can see on the forum that VM suggest this is a "bug" being looked into.
Any ideas on this one, or is it a "Wait for new firmware".  Seems a pretty fundamental problem if you ask me.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 Power and Black Screen issue

alanplum241276 wrote:

Hi All,

So I had my V6 installed yesterday to replace my Tivo.  Much faster box so happy with that.

The problems:

The first problem I noticed is that at random times the TV goes black for about a second.  I assumed this may be signal loss.

After some diagnosis, I pushed the HOME key so it brings up the menu system, and noticed that the screen goes completely black, so not a signal problem, more of an HDMI problem.  (If it was a signal problem I would have guessed that only the little window in the top right went blank and not the whole screen)

Hmm,  decent deduction. Ive tested it for you and yes, loss of signal causes loss of the PIP window and NOT the box to freeze.

My power levels seem fine anyway with most tuners at 100% signal strength and around 41db SNR.

So weve ruled out signal issues

I have found that the only way to stop this happening was to reduce the video output of the V6 from 2160 to 1080p.  Since doing this, the black screen problem is no more.

I suppose it COULD be but and HDMI issue would more likely both be permanent (largely an HDMI connection works or it doesnt) and your TV would display an error message.

Second Problem

I have power saving set to OFF on the V6, but we still put it into Standby at night (Red Light)
No amount of clicking on the peanut would start the V6 so I had to get her to use the rocker switch to power it Off/On
Any ideas on this one, or is it a "Wait for new firmware".  Seems a pretty fundamental problem if you ask me.

Sounds to me like a dodgy box. There is another poster with similar issues , so Ill point staff at your thread so they can start collating similair posts. Truthfully I haven't heard about a known issue with the V6, (other than one issue with a particular app) but that's not to say there isn't one.

0 Kudos
deans6571
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Kippies wrote:

alanplum241276 wrote:

Hi All,

The problems:

Hmm,  decent deduction. Ive tested it for you and yes, loss of signal causes loss of the PIP window and NOT the box to freeze.

I suppose it COULD be but and HDMI issue would more likely both be permanent (largely an HDMI connection works or it doesnt) and your TV would display an error message.

Second Problem

Sounds to me like a dodgy box. There is another poster with similar issues , so Ill point staff at your thread so they can start collating similair posts. Truthfully I haven't heard about a known issue with the V6, (other than one issue with a particular app) but that's not to say there isn't one.

I don't understand this bug (box won't turn on)  - this is exactly what happens with mine (engineer coming today). Surely if this is indeed a bug with the firmware on the box, wouldn't if effect 100% of all V6 users? How can it affect some and not others, when everyone has the same exact box???

Smiley Indifferent

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

deans6571 wrote:

Kippies wrote:

alanplum241276 wrote:

Hi All,

The problems:

Second Problem

I don't understand this bug (box won't turn on)  - this is exactly what happens with mine (engineer coming today). Surely if this is indeed a bug with the firmware on the box, wouldn't if effect 100% of all V6 users? How can it affect some and not others, when everyone has the same exact box???

Smiley Indifferent

Yeah its yours and this one Ive highlighted so far.

My guts saying its a couple of dodgy boxes, this IS brand new kit and its not unusual for QC in the factory churning them out to not be up to speed yet.

But the similarities between the two are why I think it warrants further investigation.

alanplum241276
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

So after a couple of nights putting the box in standby manually (red light) so far it has been coming on in the morning as expected.

Maybe it was first day blues for the box. 

I still have problem 1 though so I've ordered a new HDMI cable just to diagnose more. 

0 Kudos
alanplum241276
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

So I got my new short HDMI cable ensuring it supports 2160 and replaced the one I had. 

Weird thing happened. The black screen thing started happening straight away even though the V6 was still set to 1080p. Thinking this is very odd, I changed the V6 back to 2160 and now it's fine!!!

The new HDMI cable seems to have reversed the original problem I had. 

Something very weird going on here. 

The screen when it does it's black thing almost looks like what Windows does when you install a new video driver as it tries to detect the best setting. For now though, I'm on 2160 output and will monitor for issues. 

0 Kudos
Ed70
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi there i'm new to the forums but am having the same issues with my new tivo v6 box.

I have a high speed HDMI cable with ethernet, when i switch on my Samsung  TV  KS7000 then power up the tivo the TV screen says there no power switch on the tivo box. I have to turn the TV on and off to make it work or switch to another app on the smart TV then go back. I also get random black screen. If i switch back to an old cable not high speed i don't get this problem. This is really frustrating!!

0 Kudos
deans6571
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Everyone who is having 'black screen' issues on their Samsung TVs, I would suggest reading through this thread as there seems to be a fix for this:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-V6/Samsung-KS8000-9000-V6-black-screen-solved/td-p/33...