Menu
Lorian
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

V6 - Only 1TB?

I believe the new V6 box has 1TB of memory.  I seem to remember when I first spoke with the customer relations people they said it would have 3 or 4 TB making it better than what Sky was offering.  They even said they were testing one in their office as we were speaking! 

I currently have a 1TB Tivo that only records 120hrs of HD programmes.  I have a Panasonic Freeview HD 1TB box that records over 240hrs of HD.  Don't know why it's double the capacity of a Tivo.  Does the V6 only record 120 hrs of HD? If so that doesn't seem very much to me especially with 6 tuners.  The adverts tend to use the SD timings of 500hrs but I mostly watch HD.  I wonder if there is a 3GB or 4GB version waiting in the wings to be released.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 - Only 1TB?

Ive no idea if there's a higher capacity one in the wings, all I know is unlike Sky Q, each time you add a box, you add 1TB of storage.  So even if you have the deluxe 4K Q, your still limited to 2TB total, where if you have the maximum number of V6's (which we reckon is 4) youve got 4TB

The fundamentals of TiVo havent changed- its primarily a time shifting device, not designed for archiving. 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Lorian wrote:

I currently have a 1TB Tivo that only records 120hrs of HD programmes.  I have a Panasonic Freeview HD 1TB box that records over 240hrs of HD.  Don't know why it's double the capacity of a Tivo.  Does the V6 only record 120 hrs of HD?

I've not checked for ages, but I assume that VM are still pushing TV out over the network in MPEG2 format.

If and when they can ever rid the network of the archaic V+HD & V-boxes, then the content can move to MPEG4, and the number of recordable hours will practically double overnight.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
Lorian
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I hope they do eventually double the capacity.  I saw on another thread that someone said the V6 records only 100hrs of HD.  I tried to find something on the Virgin web site to check that but couldn't find anything.  I'd like to have one for the speed and facilities but if that was my only device for recording I'd be disappointed with just 100hrs.  I can't see they would release a new box with a smaller capacity than the old one.  Maybe you can increase the memory by adding more boxes but I can't afford more than one.  Maybe someone who has one can clear this up for me.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Lorian wrote:

I can't see they would release a new box with a smaller capacity than the old one.

They're not - the 1TB V6 will have the same recording capacity as the existing 1TB TiVo (~500hrs SD, ~120hrs HD)

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The HD capacity of the V6 is 120 hours, the same as the current 1TB TiVo.

0 Kudos
Lorian
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I see where the 100Hrs for HD comes from - the official spec says so:

http://store.virginmedia.com/content/dam/eSales/corporate/VirginTVV6boxfactsheet.pdf

Is this wrong then?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes, that's wrong. The 120 figure comes from System Info on the box itself.

0 Kudos