Menu
vulcat
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

V6 Multiroom Installation - Useful Information

March 2017. I have just had two Tivo V6 boxes installed and am posting this item to provide information some of which I found hard to find beforehand.

Firstly I would like to thank the Virgin installation team who were very helpful and ensured a very satisfactory job.

Now to my comments/observations:

1. V6 box Connection. The first V6 replaced an existing Tivo box and in addition required an ethernet wired connection to my Virgin Hub (which I had already had) so it was a straight swap. For the second V6 the team inserted a splitter in the cable and ran a new cable to the second room.
  2. Cable Routing. To ensure the cable was routed where I wanted it I ran nylon line through my cavity wall to the loft and back down to the second room. The Virgin team where happy to use this line but, as I expected, they would not go into my loft. As a result I helped them pull the cable to the loft and fed it back down out of the loft.
  3. Ethernet Connection/s .The second V6 did not require a wired Ethernet connection and connects to my hub via WiFi. I am not sure that either V6 requires a wired connection, WiFi is available on both units but Virgin advise having  a wired connection at least on the first box.
  4. Signal Stength. Due to the length of the cable run, 15 - 20 metres, the Virgin team were concerned about there being sufficient signal.. This was resolved by increasing the strength of the signal from the access point in the street. Attenuators were added to the cable connection to the Hub and first V6 with the second V6 being fed directly (without an attenuator)
  5. Handset pairing. For one reason or another this did not go quite as smoothly as planned. The handsets use IR and Bluetooth. IR for the initial installation but once you are up and running the handsets can be paired with the V6 boxes thereby supporting independent control of each box. 
  6. Operation Manual. I was not given a hard copy Operations Manual but was able to find it on the Virgin Media site.
  7. Old Tivo Data Loss. By swapping out the old Tivo I lost all my previously recorded programs. I think, but I cannot be sure, that if you retain your old Tivo, i..e. have a V6 and an old Tivo then you can access the old Tivo programs from the V6.
  8. Retention of Tivo Settings. As for all your historical settings, Series Links, Favourites etc. these can be downloaded from the Virgin Media site - for a limited time after installation.

I am really pleased with my installation. Everthing works faster and the access to My Shows on one V6 from the other and TV Anywhere is working perfectly.

I hope this note helps others plan their installation. 

stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 Multiroom Installation - Useful Information

One slight question, as you managed to pull the coax cable, could you have pulled and ethernet cable too, good that it works with wifi, but ethernet would have been better Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
vulcat
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 Multiroom Installation - Useful Information

Yes. I'm going to do that. Cat 6A cable on order. 😊
0 Kudos