Menu
kate71
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

V6 Media Box keeps crashing

I'm on my second V6 Media box which still keeps crashing while playing back the same programmes - Modern Family and Elementary.  Are these programmes in Ultra HD or 4K?  I have a 4K Panasonic TV which works absolutely fine with everything else attached - PS4 and Apple TV are fine.  The Virgin installer agreed that this was a problem he had seen before with some of the newer 4K TVs - can anyone in the Virgin community respond with any update?  

p.s. please take Robbie Williams off your hold music - I am begging you!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 Media Box keeps crashing

it's a bug effecting all V6 boxes, there will hopefully be a roll out of a firmware update soon that will fix it, you can ff through the point that crashes the boxes

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You should not have had your V6 replaced because of this fault.

This a well-documented issue caused by these two programs. It is being looked at now and, in the meanwhile, you should consider only watching these programs from Catch Up.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

PS The issue is unrelated to your TV.

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

p.p.s

to see if you have had the update..

look in settings/system info/system info and see what the version is.

the old version number was

20.5.8.RC12-VMB-11-C68.

and the new on (as far as I can tell as I havn't been updated yet) is

20.5.8.1.RC4-VMB-11-C68

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

dannylau wrote:

it's a bug effecting all V6 boxes, there will hopefully be a roll out of a firmware update soon that will fix it, you can ff through the point that crashes the boxes

I am curious about a firmware fix resolving this issue.

It appears to affect two programmes from the same source and the problem always appears to happen at the same point of the programmes. That suggests to me a specific problem in the datastream.

Granted that the code may be changed to handle this problem in the datastream but I would argue that the problem should be dealt with at source, i.e. the "corruption" removed from the datastream. It is extremely curious what is included in the stream, always at the same point, that causes this issue.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos