Menu
Dan1977
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

V6 Installed

Had the V6 installed yesterday (got lucky with a call from them last week offering it for free and an install this week).

First impressions - super, super quick. Compared to my old Tivo this is like a Ferrari! It feels at least as quick as the 'ten times faster' tag VM are giving it. Install was extremely straightforward - basically 2 engineers hanging about for 30mins waiting for software to update. I have connected to the superhub wirelessly - this took the engineers a bit of figuring out and I would suggest getting them to do it as the functionality seemed slightly awkward to find via settings. Once connected it has been solid and the connection speed I'm achieving is around 100-120mbps (had one drop out - with the images from the live tiles at the top of 'Home' disappearing but that didn't last long).

Cycling through the menus is very quick as is loading up iPlayer and Netflix. Hitting 'TV' now takes me back to full-screen quickly as opposed to the black screen hang I used to get with Tivo. Overall it performs really well and helps make the UI more intuitive. That being said the UI still seems stuck in the past and it is disappointing that it wasn't given a refresh. It - along with the practical but dull box design - does little to add any 'premium' feel to this supposed flagship box.

Because its basically the same experience (albeit faster) I haven't really played about with it too much but it has addressed the issues I had with Tivo in terms of speed. I would like to see the whole UI overhauled but can't see that happening any time soon due to the recent update. Finally the only thing I have found that is different is when I connected the box to my Canton soundbase via optical the volume now needs to be around 65 (as opposed to 55 via the Tivo) to give a decent sound. Not sure why it is delivering less output than before. Oh, and the remote is slightly better, slightly smaller and feels more robust.

Hope all those waiting for theirs get them soon. Seems to be a bit of a lottery at the moment.

Constable21
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 Installed

It's definitely an antidote to the sluggish, unresponsive TiVo. I gave up months ago trying to access BBC on demand through the guide on TiVo, and did it through the telly app instead. With the V6 it's pretty instant. And no more endlessly spinning circle waiting for Netflix to boot up, only takes a couple of seconds.
0 Kudos
raymartin01
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

What do you have to do to get one free? It's really annoying when people post that they've got one free without saying why!

0 Kudos
Constable21
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Virgin phoned some people at the end of last week who had previously registered an early interest online, and offered the V6 without any charges. In my case I already had a TiVo and the V6 is a replacement for an old V+. We seem to be on the top level tv and broadband packages and out of contract, but we don't know how many people had the offer, what the criteria for the call was, or if they are still doing this.
0 Kudos