Menu
Colinalbert
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

V6 Installation

Two questions please ? ( 1 ) i want to upgrade to the V6 and use my Tivo as the spare box which will require Internet via power line in my situation would Virgin engineers bring and supply on installing the V6 ?
(2) Using power line would require me plugging in to a socket but on a power boars not a wall socket would this still work sufficiently to generate the WI FI ?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 Installation

1. You would have to supply the powerline connections yourself.
  2. Powerline adaptors work much, much better when plugged directly into a wall socket. Extension leads are not recommended. You can get a set which permit power passthrough so that you don't lose the use of the socket.
    These for example: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014HCF6X2

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
Colinalbert
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

That's a little worrying as where my Super Hub is situated i only have a single wall socket with my power board plugged in for my computer and printer etc. My Tivo when moved to the other room would face the same issue , it maybe i stick just with my Tivo as i am now or possibly explore Sky Q set up requirements.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

With a passthrough powerline adaptor it would make no difference to your setup - plug the powerline adaptor into the wall, plug the multi-way into the powerline adaptor.

To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
Colinalbert
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Okay thanks for the info much appreciated as I'm not technically minded i just need to square things before proceeding thanks

Colin
0 Kudos
Click4
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Virgin media sell powerline kits, and support them if you buy from them.

http://virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/powerline/extending-your-network.html#buy-now

PrinterElf wrote:
  1. You would have to supply the powerline connections yourself.
  2. Powerline adaptors work much, much better when plugged directly into a wall socket. Extension leads are not recommended. You can get a set which permit power passthrough so that you don't lose the use of the socket.
    These for example: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014HCF6X2

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Click4 wrote:

Virgin media sell powerline kits, and support them if you buy from them.

http://virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/powerline/extending-your-network.html#buy-now

That they do, and you'd need the middle set with passthrough to use with your existing multi-way.

0 Kudos
Colinalbert
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the information, if Virgin sell them is it possible you can purchase them with your upgrade order and then the engineer could set it up for me elimanating any problems i may encounter doing it myself

Colin
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Colin, 

Thanks for your post and it's really great to see the Community offering advice here Smiley Happy

When the engineer comes to install, they will check how the box performs via wireless. Depending on this, they will be able to offer the Powerline adaptors there and then and will help set it all up. Smiley Happy

You could also purchase online so they're there ready for when the engineer comes. 

Hope that helps. 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Colinalbert
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info i feel a little happier knowing that they can sort it out for me

Colin
0 Kudos