Menu
m_evans25
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

V6 HDCP Issues

Hi all,

I got the V6 box last week and so far it has been nothing but a real headache.

My Setup;

TV => SONY KD55XD8577SU

Blu-Ray => SONY UBPX800B

Amp => Yamaha RX-V679

Other => Xbox One

As you would expect, I have the amp connected to the TV, then all other devices go into the amp and all the HDMI's are 2.2 with the exception of the Xbox One.

My issues so far have been;

Scenario: When the V6 was plugged into the amp (via HDMI 2.2 port)

• The amp does not detect a signal from the V6
  • I have to 'trick' the amp into showing the signal it is receiving by first switching inputs on the amp to say, the Xbox then switch it back.
  • When watching Netflix on the TV (using the inbuilt app within the TV itself), the amp receives and sends a dodgy signal from the V6 (green flashing screen with sharded TV Guide interlaced) which then caused the TV to crash and reboot.
  • Fundamentally the V6 is unusable when using a pass through connection.

I then tried the workaround of plugging the V6 direct into the TV's HDMI port and using ARC HDMI to send the audio back to the amp from the TV.

• On first connection, the TV randomly rebooted.
  • After several attempts, it would appear that this 'appears' to work but further testing is required to see if its stable.

Other issues;

• If the TV is off, and the V6 box is off, I would expect the V6 box to send a signal to the TV over HDCP when it is turned on, therefore turning the TV on.  The Blu-ray player does this over HDCP.
  • The V6 box is incorrectly picking up the IR signal from the amp remote so when I press the 'Return' key on it, the V6 box shows the 'Search for shows' screen.

I will do some further testing over the next few days to see if the main setup is stable (i.e. doesn't cause my TV to reboot and the signal is picked up by the TV without further trickery).  Moving forward, the HDCP issues and IR clashing needs addressing.  Anyone else had issues with Amp remotes causing undesired behavior on the V6?

All in all, not a great first experience!  Connectivity between Audio visual devices should be taken for granted. 

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superfast
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 HDCP Issues

Have you made your TV's HDMI port HDCP 2.2-compliant by selecting HDMI signal format and setting it to Enhanced format?

0 Kudos
m_evans25
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

It should be by default shouldn't it? Off the top of my head, its set to auto detect based on the incoming signal. The UHD Blu-Ray player and amp work fine and they are both 2.2 by default (to support 4k HDR etc.)
0 Kudos
m_evans25
Joining in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Ok confirmed, it was already set to enhanced format so this is not the issue.
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superfast
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Get a replacement V6 box and report back if there are still problems.

0 Kudos
m_evans25
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

It seems stable now, hdmi direct to the tv, then using arc to take the sound back to the amp, although its still picking up the signal from the remote and not turning the tv on when you power it up.  I'll see if I can get a replacement device.  They had issues with the v6 remote when they first tried to install it, it was registering random key presses from somewhere.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superfast
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

HDMI ARC cannot give you HD audio. Just get another V6, you have nothing to lose.

0 Kudos
nordog
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

How do you all get in touch with a person to discuss this sort of issue or any other problems these days, I mean a British person?

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superfast
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I do not believe that the VM call centre agents are trained in HDCP issues. You need to educate yourself. You can participate in other forums as well, such as avforums and Cable forum.

0 Kudos
Transistorfreak
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

When Virgin media offered me the free box upgrade thought great. now not so sure, just got off phone and they tell me the V6 has a known issue with HDCP 2.2 and A/V receivers / soundbars, they are working on a solution but no idea when it will come.

I have a Sony TV and Sony A/V Receiver both of which are HDCP compatible but don't work with the V6, my temporary solution is as follows:

I connected the HDMI port from the V6 to my TV (HDMI 3), then used the optical output on the V6 to connect to my A/V receiver and give me 5.1.

I configured the receiver so when you select Virgin it only outputs sound from the optical link, and then set the TV so HDMI input 3 only displays pictures.  As I use a Logitech Harmony remote I was able to program this to switch the TV and the Receiver to the correct channels at one push of a button.

For my Play station and other inputs I left the A/V receiver configured as before with devices inputting into the receiver HDMI inputs and the Receiver HDMI output connected to HDMI 2 on the TV.

Without the Harmony remote this would be a pain to switch over but as an interim solution it gives me the sound and picture quality I want.  This solution also does not give me some of the features I should have with two sony bits of kit.  Anyone else got any other solutions that might fix this until Virgin do, otherwise bring back Tivo as I do not need 4K.

0 Kudos