Menu
Ted2
Dialled in
Message 1 of 31
Flag for a moderator

V6 HD picture not as good as V+Box HD

I have had a Samsung V+Box HD for years and changed over from that to the V6 box. I never had the tivo box. I have tried every suggestion on here to get a good picture on the V6 in HD but it's still not that impressive. The V+Box in HD was superb in 1080i in comparison to the V6 1080p. I have a Sony Bravia KDL- 55 W829 (Full HD resolution) and the built in freeview on HD is better than the V6. Other people have reported that their programmes have been excellent on the V6 in HD.  I just don't know if I am doing something wrong or if it is a problem with the box.

Is there any way Virgin at their end can run some tests and improve the picture quality in HD? 

0 Kudos
fist101
Dialled in
Message 2 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 HD picture not as good as V+Box HD

Give them a call they can check the signal levels to the STB, Got to admit that my V6 STB gives fantastic picture.

0 Kudos
Buffer6
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Are you using an HDMI connection?

0 Kudos
shawty1984
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Ted2 wrote:

I have had a Samsung V+Box HD for years and changed over from that to the V6 box. I never had the tivo box. I have tried every suggestion on here to get a good picture on the V6 in HD but it's still not that impressive. The V+Box in HD was superb in 1080i in comparison to the V6 1080p. I have a Sony Bravia KDL- 55 W829 (Full HD resolution) and the built in freeview on HD is better than the V6. Other people have reported that their programmes have been excellent on the V6 in HD.  I just don't know if I am doing something wrong or if it is a problem with the box.

Is there any way Virgin at their end can run some tests and improve the picture quality in HD? 

In the video options on the V6, only tick 1080i, 1080p passthrough and 2160 passthrough. Leave the rest unticked including 1080p. 

0 Kudos
Ted2
Dialled in
Message 5 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replies. I have tried all the HDMI slots on the telly as well as different leads. I have also tried the setting  1080i, 1080p passthrough and 2160 passthrough. Leaving the rest unticked including 1080p.  I will give virgin a call so they can check the signal levels to the STB. It's like a switch needs to be turned on somewhere to make a difference between watching standard and HD. As I say I never had the Tivo so can't compare one to V6 but there is a noticeable difference in my getting a better HD quality on my old V+HD box. I'll see what Virgin can do their end.

0 Kudos
fredtheted
Up to speed
Message 6 of 31
Flag for a moderator

I found my old Virgin+ box gave a better HD picture than my current TiVo box. I only swapped boxes because at the time I could get ALL films in SkyMovies Ondemand in HD, where's there were only a few onVirgin+. At least now it is a level playing field as no one gets it.

Ted2
Dialled in
Message 7 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Well, I phoned Virgin and was told that is how the HD works on the V6. The old V+ box HD ( and the Tivo apparently as I never had one )  had a better HD picture but a poor SD picture. The V6 was designed so there shouldn't be much of a difference between SD and HD quality. Trouble is once you are use to watching a good quality HD programme like Planet Earth 2 on the V+box it is hard watching a noticeably poorer quality HD on the V6 which (say Virgin) is designed to be a compromise between HD and SD. I might just think about going back to the Samsung V+box HD which in all honesty suited my tv viewing much better.  

rubixqubix
Tuning in
Message 8 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Can anyone else confirm this is actually the case? I can't see why a new box would have a poorer picture...

My freeview also looks significantly better than the v6. I did/do not have a previous virgin box to compare.

This is disappointing if true.
0 Kudos
Stratman1971
Up to speed
Message 9 of 31
Flag for a moderator

I find it hard to believe that the V6 HD was designed to be of poorer quality. How is that possible?

I'm sure we had all these arguments when Tivo replaced the TVDrive.

0 Kudos
deans6571
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Ted2 wrote:

Well, I phoned Virgin and was told that is how the HD works on the V6. The old V+ box HD ( and the Tivo apparently as I never had one )  had a better HD picture but a poor SD picture. The V6 was designed so there shouldn't be much of a difference between SD and HD quality. Trouble is once you are use to watching a good quality HD programme like Planet Earth 2 on the V+box it is hard watching a noticeably poorer quality HD on the V6 which (say Virgin) is designed to be a compromise between HD and SD. I might just think about going back to the Samsung V+box HD which in all honesty suited my tv viewing much better.  

I have to totally agree with everything you have said here.  

I have tried ALL the settings on my V6 and although there is a marginal difference between SD and HD, you would really be hard pressed to actually notice it. 

Perhaps this is just how the V6 is ...........