Menu
mpatric
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

V6 First Impressions

We had our TiVo swapped out for a V6 today. I was on the verge of leaving a few months ago and switching to Sky Q, but was persuaded to wait until V6. Here are my impressions so far (spoiler: I think I'm happy I waited):

• It's fast: the biggest improvement over TiVo is the speed difference, the V6 responds quickly, compared to TiVo it's a joy to use Smiley Very Happy
  • It's familiar if you're used to TiVo: the user interface is exactly the same as TiVo, the remote is almost the same (although noticeably smaller)
  • It's small: although it's quite boxy, it's a lot smaller than the TiVo
  • It's quiet: our TiVo was really noisy - in particular you could easily hear the hard drive chugging away and I had to resort to all sorts of things to minimise the noise. The V6 is much quieter, I have to get up close to hear it Smiley Happy
  • It has tuners galore: with three tuners on the TiVo we often ended up with things clashing, so doubling up here is most welcome
  • Netflix is actually usable: we didn't use our TiVo for Netflix as it was too painful, and used an Apple TV instead; Netflix on the V6 is much better than TiVo, I think it's quite close to the Apple TV experience (although to my eye, the picture on the Apple TV still looks slightly better than the V6, but it's close)
  • What's with the power light on the front of the box? It's big and it's bright; so much so that it distracts me hugely when watching TV (the V6 is directly below the TV). I have already stuck some insulation tape over most of the light to make it bearable
  • It has no recording lights: I got quite used to being able to easily see if something was recording on the TiVo, and how many things were recording. The V6 box itself has no visual indicators showing if anything is recording. I realise having a light for each tuner (so, 6 lights) would have been impractical, but a single light to show if there's at least one thing recording would have been nice.
  • It can stream recordings to devices: I was a bit disappointed to find that you can only do this with some channels (for instance, I couldn't watch a film recorded off Sky Movies on my iPhone, but could watching something recorded off Channel 4) - I've yet to fully explore which channels are available

I haven't tried all the features of the V6 yet (such as downloading recordings onto a mobile device) or done a side-by-side comparison of the picture quality vs a TiVo, but so far the V6 looks great. We would regularly get picture pixelation on the TiVo - I haven't noticed any on the V6 (yet).

I hope this provides some useful first-hand info for anyone deciding if they should get a V6.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 First Impressions

mpatric wrote:
  • It can stream recordings to devices: I was a bit disappointed to find that you can only do this with some channels (for instance, I couldn't watch a film recorded off Sky Movies on my iPhone, but could watching something recorded off Channel 4) - I've yet to fully explore which channels are available

I'm sure you can thank Sky's licensing lawyers for that Smiley Wink

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
mpatric
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

mpatric wrote:

We would regularly get picture pixelation on the TiVo - I haven't noticed any on the V6 (yet).

After using the V6 tonight, unfortunately I did see pixelation. It happened about as much as would happen on the TiVo, so this issue still exists for us. It seems to happen on some channels more than others (BBC2 HD for instance seems to pixelate a lot).

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Pixelation on Live TV is generally a sign that power levels are out and, given this occurred previously with TiVo, you need to get this reviewed.

mpatric
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ernie_C wrote:

Pixelation on Live TV is generally a sign that power levels are out and, given this occurred previously with TiVo, you need to get this reviewed.

Thanks Ernie_C, does this require an engineer visit (a bit frustrating if so, as an engineer was here yesterday to install the V6 box) or can it be done remotely?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It can be assessed remotely, but if a fix is needed then you'll need a visit.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

PrinterElf wrote:

mpatric wrote:

I'm sure you can thank Sky's licensing lawyers for that Smiley Wink

Sure - but they don't put that in the marketing blurb, giving you the impression that "everything" will stream/download

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Colinalbert
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sounds good one question on picture quality ? Is it better than the Tivo on a HD telly or the same ?

Colin
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Colinalbert wrote:
Sounds good one question on picture quality ? Is it better than the Tivo on a HD telly or the same ?

Colin

If the HD TV is 1080P, better as V6 can upscale to that, whereas TiVo couldn't.