Menu
deans6571
Super solver
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

V6 FINALLY installed - Question!

My V6 has finally been installed (see previous thread!) and all appears to be working fine (love the smaller design and the remote!) 

Couple of questions:

1. I have gone into the appropriate section of the virgin media website in order to copy settings across from my old TiVo to the V6. On the website, it states it takes about half an hour to transfer the settings. It's been over half an hour now - how long should this normally take, as my settings haven't been transferred yet?

2. The V6 refuses to connect to the Hub 3 5Ghz band, even though I know 100% I am entering the correct password. The V6 can see the network but just won't connect to it so have to settle for the slower 2.5Ghz band instead. Why doesn't it connect (do I need to change a setting on the Hub3, like add the V6 or something)?

3. If I leave the V6 connected to the 2.5Ghz, is this going to affect streaming services live iPlayer or Netflix (if not, I may as well just leave it on this, as it will only connect to2.5Ghz)?

Helpful Answers
deans6571
Super solver
Message 11 of 23
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: V6 FINALLY installed - Question!

Ok, so I have just re-tried connecting to my 5Ghz band and it seems to have worked this time?!! Weird in that I tried several times earlier on and although it could see the network, it wouldn't connect - but now it has!

Smiley Happy

Now just gotta wait for my settings to copy over. 

All Replies
deans6571
Super solver
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

deans6571 wrote:

My V6 has finally been installed (see previous thread!) and all appears to be working fine (love the smaller design and the remote!) 

Couple of questions:

1. I have gone into the appropriate section of the virgin media website in order to copy settings across from my old TiVo to the V6. On the website, it states it takes about half an hour to transfer the settings. It's been over half an hour now - how long should this normally take, as my settings haven't been transferred yet?

2. The V6 refuses to connect to the Hub 3 5Ghz band, even though I know 100% I am entering the correct password. The V6 can see the network but just won't connect to it so have to settle for the slower 2.5Ghz band instead. Why doesn't it connect (do I need to change a setting on the Hub3, like add the V6 or something)?

3. If I leave the V6 connected to the 2.5Ghz, is this going to affect streaming services live iPlayer or Netflix (if not, I may as well just leave it on this, as it will only connect to2.5Ghz)?

Just like to add that my Hub 3 is in the same room as the V6 so don't understand why it won't connect to the 5Ghz band?

pgcowie
Dialled in
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

1. My settings took several hours to copy, but did eventually.

2. SH3 had some problems with 5ghz that were solved by giving the 2 bands different SSID's as by default they are the same.

3. 2.4ghz should also be OK unless you are in close proximity to neighbours also using 2.4ghz

jonandmarkuk
Superfast
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Try changing the channel for the 5Ghz Wifi.

I don't use the SH3 for Wifi so not sure how it's done, not all devices are able to see the full range of channels.
For example my ROKU refuses to see certain 5Ghz wifi channels.

0 Kudos
deans6571
Super solver
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

pgcowie wrote:

1. My settings took several hours to copy, but did eventually.

2. SH3 had some problems with 5ghz that were solved by giving the 2 bands different SSID's as by default they are the same.

3. 2.4ghz should also be OK unless you are in close proximity to neighbours also using 2.4ghz

The 2.5Ghz band and 5Ghz bands already have different SSIDs as I changed these when I initially set up the Hub 3 so this isn't the issue. 

The strange thing is, is that the V6 can see both the 2.5Ghz and the 5Ghz bands, when it scans for networks, however, it will only connect to the 2.5Ghz band. 

deans6571
Super solver
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

jonandmarkuk wrote:

Try changing the channel for the 5Ghz Wifi.

I don't use the SH3 for Wifi so not sure how it's done, not all devices are able to see the full range of channels.
For example my ROKU refuses to see certain 5Ghz wifi channels.

My V6 can already see my 5Ghz network (it shows it when it scans for wifi networks), it just refuses to connect to it and will only connect the 2.5Ghz band. 

deans6571
Super solver
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

With regards to the TiVo settings being copied over to the V6 - I'm wondering whether I should just run through the procedure on the website again, as the settings have still not copied over (initially ran through the procedure this morning around 11:30am)? 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

deans6571 wrote:

With regards to the TiVo settings being copied over to the V6 - I'm wondering whether I should just run through the procedure on the website again, as the settings have still not copied over (initially ran through the procedure this morning around 11:30am)? 

Previous posts have shown that it can take up to 24 hours for this to complete.  See here for another example: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-V6/Series-links-not-copying-from-old-tivo/m-p/3292294#...

deans6571
Super solver
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Graham_A wrote:

deans6571 wrote:

Previous posts have shown that it can take up to 24 hours for this to complete.  See here for another example: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-V6/Series-links-not-copying-from-old-tivo/m-p/3292294#...

Thanks for that - I guess I may have to wait 24 hours then!

With regards to the other issue I'm having (V6 can see my 5Ghz band but won't connect to it) - does the wifi password have a character limit (my password is 17 characters - perhaps that is why it won't connect, although the 2.5Ghz band ALSO uses the same password but that DOES connect?!?!? ) 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, I can't help with the WiFi issue - other community users with a V6 may be able to.