Menu
justjust1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

V6 Box

Hello all,

OK, so i have been using a Virgin Tivo box for 5 years and in that time have gone through 3 or 4 boxes in that time due to faults and them being so painfully slow.

I was thinking about going over to SkyQ but had heard really bad reports from multiple users.

Fortunately i now have a V6 box being installed on 1st Feb.

But i have been thinking and doing some research and i have some questions i need answering if possible?

I have paid for the installation but am now concerned. I see there is no cable connection - do i need a aerial for terrestrial TV? if so i don’t have one! Or does the terrestrial TV come through the broadband?

Also i have put a lot of investment into my network infrastructure at home installing a gigabyte switch Cisco router and Cisco Wireless access point. I really don’t want to go back to using the super hub as in my honest opinion its really bad. Does anyone know if the V6 will be ok to run without using the Virgin router (basically virgin router in modem only mode)?

I appreciate this is a new product but just would like to have things in order before the install happens.

Thanks,

Justin

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: V6 Box

If you have a TiVo, then the V6 will just replace it connected to the same coax. Not quite sure how you concluded there is no cable connection.

As long as somewhere throughout the myriad of network connections it finds itself attached to a VM broadband connection then this too will be fine.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The V6 box plugs into the VM cable network just as the TiVo did for broadcast TV.  The new box also needs to be connected to the home broadband in order to access the on demand app content and to get EPG updates etc.  Connecting via your Cisco network should not be an issue as you are ultimately connecting to the VM hub, albeit in modem mode.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I believe the V6 comes with an adaptor cable to connect the existing coax to the V6 box.

LittleMick73
Well-informed
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You don't need an aerial with cable TV, but if you ever want to switch off your cable box & select tv input on television so you are then on freeview you can do that via an aerial which is good if your virgin system fails for any reason.Regards Micky

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you have a TiVo, then the V6 will just replace it connected to the same coax. Not quite sure how you concluded there is no cable connection.

As long as somewhere throughout the myriad of network connections it finds itself attached to a VM broadband connection then this too will be fine.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The V6 box plugs into the VM cable network just as the TiVo did for broadcast TV.  The new box also needs to be connected to the home broadband in order to access the on demand app content and to get EPG updates etc.  Connecting via your Cisco network should not be an issue as you are ultimately connecting to the VM hub, albeit in modem mode.

justjust1
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sorry yes, it has coax but this looks like a aerial connection to me not a F-Type that is currently used - question is do i need an aerial?

0 Kudos
justjust1
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Graham, Phew!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I believe the V6 comes with an adaptor cable to connect the existing coax to the V6 box.

LittleMick73
Well-informed
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You don't need an aerial with cable TV, but if you ever want to switch off your cable box & select tv input on television so you are then on freeview you can do that via an aerial which is good if your virgin system fails for any reason.Regards Micky
justjust1
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

LittleMick73 wrote:

Yes thanks for that, problem is that i don't have an aerial and i don't fancy putting one on my chimney either!

0 Kudos