Menu
gezzer1520
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

V6 Box - feed a second TV

I have just upgraded to a V6 box as my main, with my old Tivo as an upstairs box. Networked together, the ability to access all recordings from either box is a great feature. The problem is that I also used to feed a low resolution signal from the Tivo to a TV in the kitchen - great for keeping up while cooking. The problem is the lack of a video out signal, which makes it near impossible to feed a second set or a dvd recorder. Using an HDMI splitter /amplifier reduces the signal quality to the main TV, especially if the TV is a 4k set, as they can be fussy about cables & connections anyway. I know the round scart socket is not connected, but has anyone come up with a viable workaround, or has Virgin any intention of addressing this issue? I would not have upgraded, had I known. The pictures of the V6 box clearly show the 'scart' socket on the back. I feel I have been sold a pup.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 Box - feed a second TV

This will give you a 1080i signal to the kitchen via aerial cable though it is expensive

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edision-HDMI-Modulator-Full-Distribution/dp/B00KBXKJ2A/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&q...

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You still have an active scart on the tivo upstairs.. could you get a feed from that?

0 Kudos
gezzer1520
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for your post. I know these digital modulators are good, but the problem is in splitting the HDMI signal. The amplifier/splitters I have looked at all degrade the signal somewhat, as you get sync problems if the outputs from the splitter are not exactly the same, i.e. one would be 1080 to feed the modulator, the other 4k for the TV. Can't see a way round that.

0 Kudos
gezzer1520
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Steve, Yes, but I moved the Tivo to the bedroom, and it's the downstairs box I want to link with the kitchen. I am in the kitchen cooking, while my wife is watching something in the lounge. I got so used to having this on the Tivo, that it's a real loss now. Even putting an extra box in the kitchen wouldn't really help, as there is no way of watching the same signal in two rooms without starting the program on the two machines at the same time and manually synchronising them. Same goes for the Telly Tablet to the TV Anywhere app.Great being able to watch different things at the same time, but sometimes, you want the same thing, and the software doesn't offer that option. I think the only real solution is if Virgin change the software.

I thought of switching the V6 and the Tivo - this would work, but the Tivo became so slow after the software update, that it drive me mad.

0 Kudos
Nildnac
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi dannylau, Does this actually work, been talking to NEET and a guy there tells me that the V6 box is a HDCP 2.2 device, and it will simply not work with a HDCP 1.4 devices (which the modulator is)... (that is, they will not work at all. No signal whatsoever, not 1080p, not 4k)... Regards
0 Kudos