Menu
hollybob1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 32
Flag for a moderator

V6 Box.....Virgin Media are a joke

I spoke to the 'Customer Retention' team over a month ago because I'd been offered a deal by Sky to move over to them, taking advantage of their new Ultra box and having one in one more room than I currently have Virgin boxes in at the moment.  They offered this for 6 months at HALF the price of my current Virgin deal....apart from BT Sport which would have cost me £30pm from BT.   However, I was still £50 a month better off and with one extra box.

Very friendly guy offered to match their deal (allowing for the extra £30 I was having to pay) but mentioned that I might want to wait for 'Virgin's new box' although he couldn't give me a date for its release.

I saw on line that the box was being released at a press launch on the 30th November but, having called the Customer Retention team on at least 3 further occasions I was told that they couldn't even speak to me about a new box until the 6th December but that my name would be put 'on the list'.

Naturally I received no call from Virgin on the 6th December and so I called the team again.  The previous price I'd been offered had gone up 'because it changes every day (!)' but they could still save me about £30 a month which would include a new V^ box and a new Tivo box.   Great....or so I thought.

When is the earliest date you can fit it I ask...?

The 20th of January 2017.....!

The guy even apologised for this delay himself and said he couldn't understand why it was taking so long.....but he also told me that NOBODY was having the V6 box fitted in December.

So I asked what Virgin installers were actually installing in December...?  It seems to me that they are fitting TIVO boxes for people that ordered in October/November and who have taken contracts without being told there is a new box being launched.

I told the guy that I would therefore have to consider moving to Sky who have assured me they can install before Christmas.....and he said there was nothing he could do...!

So it looks like Virgin could lose a £150 per month client for the sake of an earlier installation......and they couldn't give a toss.   Absolutely outrageous.

What the hell is the point in launching a new box like this in December if you can't provide the service before Christmas....??

An absolute joke.

GoatWhisperer
Tuning in
Message 2 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 Box.....Virgin Media are a joke

Same thing happened to me. But I've been quoted 3rd Feb for my installation, seriously tempted to take Sky up on their offer
Strangeland16
Up to speed
Message 3 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Think yourself luck im waiting till 8th Feb for 2 v6 to be installed
saintdave57
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 32
Flag for a moderator

I have been a virgin media customer for years, previously tele west. I am on the VIp/XL / Full house package and signed up to express an interest in the V6. I have just been informed that I have to wait until mid Feb for a box. What a joke all the press releases last week said existing customers would have a box before the end of the year!  I was angry with Sandy the all handler and asked had he put in a code wrong, obviously he hadn't . Due to an error by virgin media I am  locked into a contract until next September when I will  look to ending my contract. I have had three TiVo boxes in the past few months and the present one works at snail pace!!

Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 5 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Don't shoot the messenger guys. I don't work for virgin but Apparently the new V6 has a much longer installation so that's part of the reason for the delays. They can't simply put you in for the next appointment as it might not be long enough for them to do a proper install. The V6 is better off apparently being connected by Ethernet to the hub. Which might well cause problems in some houses, hence the longer install times. It will work with wifi or powerline adapters but not so well  

Plus engineers will be busy fixing faults thru Xmas which is fair enough. I'd rather wait for my V6 so that the engineer is free to fix faults for other people. 

0 Kudos
hollybob1
Tuning in
Message 6 of 32
Flag for a moderator

No, I think I'd like to shoot the messenger actually..!   I was told that the reason for the delay is purely because the V6 is a 'manned' installation as opposed to them doing what they normally do which is send you the box and let you get on with it yourself.

It still doesnt explain why they have a December launch and are so arrogant that they think people will wait until late Jan/Feb to have an install.

And as for what they are doing in December....if they are spending all December doing repairs then it doesnt say much for their product does it...?

I think its more likely to be what I said...that they are installing old TIVO's for clients that have booked in previous months without knowing a new box is on its way.

Whichever is the right explanation its a joke for a compnay the size of Virgin and reflects contempt for its customers.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 32
Flag for a moderator

I'm not sure what you were actually expecting?

Box available to order "before the end of the year", which it is.

New customers can join the back of the queue in January, which they will.

Nowhere has anyone promised a pre-Christmas install. If people are receiving a pre-Christmas install it's because their area is light on other tech work.

iPhones go up for order after the announcement. They don't actually ship for another two weeks or more, in many cases closer to 6 weeks as demand outstrips supply.
This is little different, other than the fact that the device requires a long appointment to install. Once the techs get the hang of the installation then the time will come down and more slots will be available.

In terms of what the techs in your area are doing between now and 20th Jan, I'd hope they're not sitting idle waiting for V6 installs because that would be an overhead that I'd be paying for as another customer.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Hi hollybob1, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you're not able to get an appointment before Christmas.

Engineer availability is different in all areas depending on how many appointments we have available and how many engineers are working etc. Some areas are being able to get an appointment within a few days, others are waiting a few weeks. 

A lot of our engineers will have some annual leave scheduled for the Christmas and New Year period as well as us all working some reduced hours. 

We will aim to get you installed as soon as possible though and don't forget there may well be a cancellation so it's worth checking to see if we can book you in earlier. 

Apologies again. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
saintdave57
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath,

The problem is that it was widely reported following the press conference/ launch last week, that existing customers would have "their hands" on a V6 box before the end of the year. That is what as caused me to be angry, customers have been misled. And whilst I appreciate that staff have leave at this time of year, surely Virgin Media should have considered that when they had such a fanfare launching a new product.

It really isn't good enough and yet another PR gaffe by the company you represent

Dave

0 Kudos
Norman_Law
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 32
Flag for a moderator

No problems here. Signed up as being interested a couple of weeks ago. Received a phone call last Friday - did I want the V6 installed? Installed on Tuesday all up and working OK. Old TiVo moved to the room that had my second TiVo box. They were both connected via Ethernet already so streaming between the two boxes works a treat. The install does need an engineer in order to connect things up properly but it's not beyond the wit of someone with a bit of knowledge. I was an IT manager before retirement so could have done it all myself but not everyone is able to understand the networking requirements.

0 Kudos