Menu
a_watson83
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

V6 Box Internet use - traffic management limits.

Hi all,

I'm due to have a V6 box installed on the 1st of February; upgrading from the current 1Tb TiVo box.

My questions is, since the V6 box doesn't have its own Internet connection (unlike the current box), and instead uses my broadband, does the traffic coming to and from the V6 box count toward the Traffic Management limits imposed during certain times of the day?

For instance, if I were to watch something on Netflix through the V6 box, is that traffic counted as part of the limits before my connection is halved etc?

Thanks in advance

Smiley Happy

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: V6 Box Internet use - traffic management limits.

there are no traffic management on the downloads only the uploads. Watching streams will use very little upload so shouldn't really be a impact
0 Kudos
jhuk
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

VM have no STM for downloads for a long time now (apart from some p2p traffic ports that was always the case outside the normal STM).

I am on 300/20 and have no STM up or down period.

I highly doubt thy would shape TV in any shape or form but the installation engineer agrees the lack of modem in V6 is a step backwards even to install if in 3 story homes were WIFI will not work and running extra cables is a PIA.

0 Kudos

All Replies
shawty1984
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

As far as I'm aware there is no traffic management on downloads, just uploads.
a_watson83
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I assume this is only the case for the V6 box? Virgin Media's traffic management definitely takes effect for downloads, under normal circumstances.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

there are no traffic management on the downloads only the uploads. Watching streams will use very little upload so shouldn't really be a impact
0 Kudos
jhuk
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

VM have no STM for downloads for a long time now (apart from some p2p traffic ports that was always the case outside the normal STM).

I am on 300/20 and have no STM up or down period.

I highly doubt thy would shape TV in any shape or form but the installation engineer agrees the lack of modem in V6 is a step backwards even to install if in 3 story homes were WIFI will not work and running extra cables is a PIA.

0 Kudos
a_watson83
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Oh really!? All this time I've been limiting what we watch on Netflix etc....only to find that there are no limits!
Thanks for the information and for answering my question - it's exactly what I want to know.
0 Kudos
Jack_Stoddart
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Correct me if I'm wrong - but I thought the V6 still uses its own separate data / internet line for the smart features like netflix / youtube etc., no different to how TIVO did. 

The areas the V6 uses your home network, is for features such as in home streaming from one v6 to another, sharing of recorded devices, etc.

I may be wrong but im pretty sure this is the case..

Anyway its a moot point due to the clarification of the downstream traffic management policy linked to above.

J

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Jack_Stoddart wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong - but I thought the V6 still uses its own separate data / internet line for the smart features like netflix / youtube etc., no different to how TIVO did. 

The areas the V6 uses your home network, is for features such as in home streaming from one v6 to another, sharing of recorded devices, etc.

I may be wrong but im pretty sure this is the case..

Anyway its a moot point due to the clarification of the downstream traffic management policy linked to above.

J

I'm afraid you are wrong.  Unlike the TiVo, the V6 does not have an inbuilt modem but uses the home broadband connection instead.  

(The modem in the TiVo is limited to 10mbps which is not quick enough for the V6 facilities.)