Menu
deans6571
Knows their stuff
Message 1 of 34
Flag for a moderator

V6 Box Install Tomorrow- Hardwired or WFi?

My V6 install is scheduled for tomorrow afternoon but was wondering if I should go for a wifi connection (using the faster 5ghz band from my Superhub 3) or hardwired (via ethernet cables using power line adapters)? 

My Superhub 3 is situated about 4 to 5 metres away from where the V6 will sit (the same room) so the V6 will easily be able to pick up the faster 5ghz band which the Hub 3 pumps out. 

Should I just opt for the wifi connection? 

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 34
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: V6 Box Install Tomorrow- Hardwired or WFi?

The V6 will pick the best band available at time of installation, whether it's 2.4GHz or 5GHz.

Should be fine at that distance.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 34
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

For time critical info like that you would be better advised to ring 150 than wait for the forum team to reach this thread.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 21 of 34
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I have to agree with you on this and have flagged this thread to the team for attention.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 34
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The V6 will pick the best band available at time of installation, whether it's 2.4GHz or 5GHz.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
deans6571
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 34
Flag for a moderator

PrinterElf wrote:

Thanks for that - appreciated. I guess we'll see what happens tomorrow ! 

Smiley Happy

stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 34
Flag for a moderator

As they are both in the same room I assume there is no easy route route a wire could take between the hub and the V6 as that would offer a more reliable connection even though wifi should be fine in this case.

deans6571
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 34
Flag for a moderator

stevedh2 wrote:

As they are both in the same room I assume there is no easy route route a wire could take between the hub and the V6 as that would offer a more reliable connection even though wifi should be fine in this case.

Yea, you're right. They are at opposite ends of the room and the only way I could do it is via 2 power line adaptors however, as the wifi is also pretty strong in that room also (the 5ghz band), I'll probably just use that method. 

deans6571
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 34
Flag for a moderator

deans6571 wrote:

My V6 install is scheduled for tomorrow afternoon but was wondering if I should go for a wifi connection (using the faster 5ghz band from my Superhub 3) or hardwired (via ethernet cables using power line adapters)? 

My Superhub 3 is situated about 4 to 5 metres away from where the V6 will sit (the same room) so the V6 will easily be able to pick up the faster 5ghz band which the Hub 3 pumps out. 

Should I just opt for the wifi connection? 

Any chance a VM rep can actually confirm my install is still scheduled for today between 1pm and 6pm (haven't received any texts or emails confirming the installation yet, like I did with the install for my Hub 3)? I'm literally going by the word of mouth by the rep I spoke to a few weeks ago......

Thanks. 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 34
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

For time critical info like that you would be better advised to ring 150 than wait for the forum team to reach this thread.

Dereklad
Superfast
Message 8 of 34
Flag for a moderator

If you goto this link and login it should tell you your install upgrade date etc..
https://my.virginmedia.com/trackorder/view-orders

Cable customer from its inception in 80's in Birmingham .have never missed a bill payment.my package is big kahuna xl tv..200mb internet..and free sky movies for 6 months..+tivo box.
Ps4 & Amazon firestick.
+size 9 feet..iphone 7 plus..
deans6571
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Dereklad wrote:
If you goto this link and login it should tell you your install upgrade date etc..
https://my.virginmedia.com/trackorder/view-orders

That link doesn't show anything for me - when I sign in, it just states "Sorry, we can't show your orders right now, please call 150". 

deans6571
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Graham_A wrote:

Called them up - V6 install scheduled for 2-3pm today. 

Smiley Happy