Menu
VIRTUAL-ALAN
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

V6 BOX "MAJOR MAJOR ISSUES"

So 3 months ago I called and upgraded to some V6 boxes..........and had them installed yesterday.

And to have the router hard wired from my office upstairs at the back of the house is totally impractical to the V6 box downstairs at the front of the house.

So the normal TV appears to come via the cable.............but if I want to search, use catch up, any apps it "HAS" to come via the WI-FI from the router.

Well the WI-FI signals as we all; know can fluctuate / be interfered with by all; sorts of other things. So why then do you not still get access to the apps, search,catch up via the cable as my tivo box still does.??

If my son wanted to watch netflix 4k at the same time I do and they are both via WI-FI there surely is NEVER going to be a strong enough signal to run it

Any ideas / suggestions / comments would be appreciated

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 BOX "MAJOR MAJOR ISSUES"

the new V6 doesn't have its own modem and uses your internet connection. Wired connection is always recommended for a stable connection. You can also try powerline adapters.
0 Kudos
VIRTUAL-ALAN
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

HUB is in office at the back of the house and is on a separate network so powerline adapters don`t work as have tried before.

Just can`t understand why everything won`t run via the cable as it does to the TIVO box?? Surely much quicker and much more stable and I know they don`t have a modem but can`t understand why that makes a difference? If you are able to explain it would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The Tivo inbuilt modem is limited to 10 meg, that's not enough to stream 4k, rather than have two modem in the box Virgin opted to use customers existing modem

It does say that the modem must be near the V6 or have access to the network, if you don't want to do this the only option is to return to the Tivo

0 Kudos
VIRTUAL-ALAN
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

So when I tell them when ordering 3 months ago where the modem and V6 boxes will be and won`t be wired they still go ahead and install it!!!!!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

maybe they assumed you wanted to use wireless and not stream
0 Kudos
VIRTUAL-ALAN
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

If they had informed me that V6 uses WIFI and not hard wire/cable I wouldn`t have taken the product

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

VIRTUAL-ALAN wrote:

If they had informed me that V6 uses WIFI and not hard wire/cable I wouldn`t have taken the product

it uses either

0 Kudos
VIRTUAL-ALAN
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I know but if I was better informed it would have saved me a lot of grief and probably another day of waiting to have it all unistalled

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Is there no way you could run a suitable cat6 wire along the same rout they took with the coax cable ?

Is there any way you could get a cat6 cable from the Hub in your office to a power socket on the same circuit as the rest of your house ?

Does the rest of your house have internet, or is it an internet free zone ?

What sort of walls/ floors are between your office and the rest of the house, if they are just internal stud partitions etc maybe the wifi would be ok, have you done any tests with wifi scanning apps to see what sort of signal you can get?

Is there any way you could connect another access point/router to the hub so that its over the location of the V6 box and can provide it with a better signal.

BTW the actual streaming of catch up, other then that from the apps does come through the coax cable, although it does need the network connection to provide handshaking and control signals.

0 Kudos