Menu
lemoore00
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

V6, AV Receiver and HDCP 2.2 error

Hi all,

My TV does not support HDCP 2.2, but my Denon AVR does.  My setup is V6>Denon x2300w> Panasonic TV.

With this chain, the TV will not output virgin at all, and I get an HDCP 2.2. error.  If I go direct to the TV, it works fine.  I can see in the diagnostics that it is using 1.4 when i go direct.

There does not seem to be a way to force 1.4 in the menu of the V6, which means I now have to bypass my AVR to use the new box. This is frustrating to say the least.

Does anyone else have this issue? Will Virgin be issuing a f/w update to help customers with this issue.  I cannot imagine I will be the only person with this problem.

it may not be so bad if I could use the optical out on the V6 but i cannot seem to get that working either.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

0 Kudos
clayts450
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6, AV Receiver and HDCP 2.2 error

This is the problem with HDCP 2.2 for people (like you and me) who bought AV gear around 2014/15 in the misguided belief they would be future compatible. The most likely issue is your TV does not have HDMI 2.0 and thus no HDCP 2.2

Any Ultra HD device like the V6 will fail to display on a TV or passthrough an amp if there is anything in the V6->AV amp->TV chain which is not HDCP 2.2 compliant.

Ideally you need something like http://www.lightinthebox.com/newest-hdcp-converter-hdmi-products-hdcp-2-2-to-hdcp-1-4-support-3d-cec... which you can put between the V6 and the AV amp. (HDMI out from V6 into this little converter, HDMI out to AV amp). Hopefully that should work. This is perfectly legal, by the way.

I ordered one on Sunday, not arrived yet (I have the opposite scenario - my TV is HDCP 2.2 compliant, my amp is not), although I've bought mine in anticipation of ordering the V6 (I still use the old Tivo at present) so couldn't say if it works - this box is pretty much identical to the Monoprice Blackbird converter sold in the US, however, and results appear to be positive.

As you've noted for now you'll be restricted to 1080p content via HDMI 1.4, but hopefully the little gizmo I' ve signposted you to will enable you to go back to the proper set-up.

By the way, don't be hoodwinked into buying an HD Fury - the device above does the same for many quid less

cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

(HD) copy protection is such a wonderful thing Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

don't you just love how hollywood forces the tech industry to block it's (mostly crap) content for legitimate viewers to view on their legally bought equipment 

( but of course, the manufacturers now get to sell new you new TVs to replace the now-obsolete ones they sold you last year so you can guess where the  makers' sympathies lie

rant over - back to the pirate bay proxy list..... 1080p for me

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate Hyperlink removed, please review the Forum Guidelines] 

0 Kudos
lemoore00
Joining in
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response.  yeah, I have seen those devices.  I hate adding devices to the chain, so I think i am just going to get a new TV.  Luckily, my TV is actually quite old as the CFO has put a blocker on a new one for years.  I have the perfect excuse now.

Cheers

rasieman7
Joining in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

My problem with the V6 it will not work with the latest top of the range AV receiver. It is compliant with 2.2 but my fantastic Kuro is not and there is still not a TV of this quality picture. It seems I am not the only one with a problem with the V^ and Virgin need to get it sorted. Thank you for the advice on the converta.

0 Kudos
Chewie30
Tuning in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I had the same issue. All my kit is HDCP 2.2 compliant but when I connected the V6 > Onkyo TX-NR839 > LG 65UB950V TV all via HDCP 2.2 ports I couldn't get 4K and HD had no sound or was just a black screen. I tried various setting on the V6 and the amp but it wouldn't configure right.

My workaround;

• Run the V6's HDMI cable to the TV's HDCP 2.2 port
  • Run another HDMI cable from the TV's ARC HDMI port to the AV receiver's output port.

Using this config the audio is routed via the audio return channel (ARC) port on my TV to the AV receiver's output port. My AV receiver automatically routes the ARC signal to the TV listening channel. I had to switch ARC on, in my AV receiver's HDMI config settings. The V6 video output is set to 2160p & pass-through. Once the V6 was rebooted I could watch 4K on Netflix and HD channels without issue.

I also had to set the audio in the Netflix app to 5.1 by pressing the down arrow when the status bar is showing.

I hope this is helpful?

RelapseUK
Joining in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I have the same issue. My only reason to upgrade to the V6 box was because the old TiVo box's interface was driving me to distraction with the amount of lag and its general unresponsiveness. 

I have in my chain:

The V6 Box -> Denon AVR-X2200W (HDCP 2.2 Compliant) -> Samsung 1080p TV (HDCP 1.4 Compliant).

Again the box outputs Audio to the AMP but throws up the HDCP 2.2 compliance error on the screen. 

The ARC solution offered might be a good idea for some but the ARC HDMI signal and connection needs to be attached to and HDMI input on the AMP. This won't work in my setup as all my devices connect via HDMI to the amp and then output to the TV.

So my work around, for now, is to connect the V6 box directly to the 2nd HDMI input on the TV and use the optical out on the V6 to connect to the optical in on my AMP.

This is not a very elegant solution in terms of cabling and is exactly what I did with my old non-HDMI amp 5 years ago. It also means that I cannot output from my amp to my Projector... that really sux.

I might throw a 30 quid punt at an HDCP converter but I hate having devices like this in the mix. They seem totally unneeded given the amount of money we spend on hardware in the first place. 

Hopefully my work around helps someone else.

Anyway... I'm off to reprogram my Harmony remote, wish me luck.

0 Kudos
denisNI
Joining in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi

This is a late response to the problem, but just in case anyone else is still having problems:

my setup Virginmedia V6 -> Denon AVR-x2300w -> LG TV

my LG TV is not 4K, but the Denon AVR is HDCP 2.2 compliant.

As others have said, when the V6 is plugged directly into the TV, I get video and sound (TV speakers only).  However when the V6 is plugged into the Denon's CBL/SAT input, i get a HDCP 2.2 error.

I also have other inputs (Amazon Firestick) that are plugged into the AVR.

Solution:

a) using another HDMI lead, connect the V6 directly to the TV

b) connect the V6 to the Denon AVR (OPT2) using an optical lead

c) Configure the Denon (Setup -> Settings -> Inputs -> Input Assign) so that CBL/SAT is set to OPT2 (under column 'Digital')

now video and surround sound works!  And the other inputs are still plugged directly into the AVR and are unaffected.

My setup was further confused as my AVR/V6/etc are all in a different room from the TV and are controlled using a Logitech Harmony Hub.  I'm very glad I ran an extra HDMI connection at the time!

I hope that helps, and no extra boxes needed in the chain.

rasieman7
Joining in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I looked in to using the optical lead for sound, only to discover optical will only transmit 5.1 surround sound. I use 7.1 plus up firing speakers. Will have to stick with the Tivo box till Virgin gets it's act together on the V6

0 Kudos
Bubbles_49
Joining in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Still not working for me. I have the Denton AV 2200w to a Sonia Bravia and followed the advice of hdmi from virgin box to TVs and the a optical cable from virgin box to opt2 input and reset the Denton settings as advised, still no sound when demon is on but when off it reverts to tv sound

0 Kudos