Menu
mrcleanhair
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Tv6 losing picture, HDMI issue

Hi, having an issue with a one week old TV6 box. Losing picture signal regularly  (just tv picture can still see menu just no tv feed) Pulling out HDMI cable and reinstating sorts the issue but clearly not acceptable. Have tried resetting the box and have tried various HDMI leads and all HDMI Inputs on TV. Every other device works in each input. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.  

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Tv6 losing picture, HDMI issue

Check the adapter is tight, both at the F connector end and the at the back of the V6- assuming you have one- if not check teh coax is plugged in tight.

If your losing TV picture but can see menus etc its unlikely to be HDMI

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Check the adapter is tight, both at the F connector end and the at the back of the V6- assuming you have one- if not check teh coax is plugged in tight.

If your losing TV picture but can see menus etc its unlikely to be HDMI

mrcleanhair
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, will check it out, would the HDMI being taken out and put back in resolve the issue if it were that? I was trying to her my head round why the menu shows up fine and not the TV feed. Many thanks.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I was going down the line of you'd have to move the box to muck around with the HDMI which could move the RF connector back into place.....etc

Either way, if the TV picture is disappearing but everything else is fine its likely to be a signal/connector issue- My V6 will work perfectly happily with no coax connection after startup- you just lose the live TV feed. On demand etc still works.

mrcleanhair
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Makes perfect sense. I'm new to Virgin but the cable into the house has been there a while. I was starting to think it may be old cabling degradation issues outside as they have been there a while. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It could also be a HDCP issue. If HDCP fails then the Menus will display but nothing else. 

When the video stops Goto Home> Help and Settings > System Info and scroll down one page.
You should see HDMI Status: 

It will say what version of HDCP is in use but if it says HDCP disable then your issue is HDCP and not the signal. 

HDCP is the handshake between the V6 and your TV set. the V6 is vary strict with it.

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
mrcleanhair
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Appreciate the reply. Thanks. A small update. Before seeing your post, I came back to the box and no picture so unplugged the hdmi at the box end and plugged it back in and it restored the picture. I'm struggling to understand how the tv signal is interrupted, only within the HDMI, as the signal is clearly reaching the box. I've checked the adapter, some looseness but nothing that would provoke the issue. I will try the menu you have suggested when it happens again. Thank you.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

This looks to me more and more like a HDCP issue and can be one of 2 things.

Faulty HDMI Cable or the TV is not keeping up it's HDCP handshake with the V6.

HDCP is a Protection used for HDMI signals and the V6 is ultra strict with it.

My V6 is connected direct to my LG TV via a 3M HDMI cable I got from Currys. I have 2 other cable i got from amazon that just will not work with my V6 but work fine on my DVD player, xbox and other non HDCP enabled devices. 

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
mrcleanhair
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your patient help. I agree it does seem like an HDCP issue. Wondering if there will be a firmware fix for this as some TV's and AV equipment appear to be affected more than others. Many thanks again.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Nice spot Tidus, hadn't thought of HDCP

0 Kudos