Menu
diannehu
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Tv v6 hub location

I would like to upgrade from Tivo to V6 but read that hub should be set up next to tv. This is not possible- will V6 work with hub located in different room ?
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Tv v6 hub location

The V6 needs a network connection to work. If it can't be located next to the Hub you would need to use either WiFi or Powerline to connect the V6 to the Hub - choosing whichever provided the best connection.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

it just needs a network connection but it will also need vm to install a coax cable if you dont already have one where the box is going

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The V6 needs a network connection to work. If it can't be located next to the Hub you would need to use either WiFi or Powerline to connect the V6 to the Hub - choosing whichever provided the best connection.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Dais83
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi. Does the hub need to be next to the v6 box or just need a network connection? I can easily run a network cable to the hubs current position. I've temporarily done this with the existing tivo box.

Also does the hub need replacing or does existing do the job?

cheers,

Andy

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

it just needs a network connection but it will also need vm to install a coax cable if you dont already have one where the box is going
normanLinux
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Strange.  The V6 TV functions do not depend on the home network.  Like the TV this comes from the dedicated channel over the coax cable - except that Tivo was slow and V6 uses DOCSIS 3.  The connection to home network allows streaming between boxes. 

When my router dropped the connection to my upstairs V6 everything worked as normal - except that the other box didn't show up in My Shows.  Still able to use TV TV Guide etc.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

normanLinux wrote:

Strange. The V6 TV functions do not depend on the home network.

Except it does for EPG data, app-based content, software updates, etc... Only broadcast TV and non-app based On Demand content come in via the coax.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!