Menu
Highlighted
Robert25312
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Transfer my shows & recordings from Tivo to V6

I can have a free upgrade to a V6 box from my existing Tivo box. I know I can transfer over Series Links etc but I believe I will 'lose' the recordings on the swapped out Tivo box that I have not seen yet. 

My hub [which will need upgrading for the V6] is in a separate room at the other end of the house and can't be moved to the same room as the tv and so wondered if it is possible to connect the old Tivo box to the hub so that I can access the unseen recordings via the V6 box. I only have the one tv.

It'd be a shame to 'lose' the unseen recordings.

Any advice please

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Transfer my shows & recordings from Tivo to V6

The only way to do this is add the old box on a multiroom account. It will require connecting to the coax cable to remain authorised as well as linking to the hub.

I will also point out that, whereas the TiVO is optionally linked to the Hub, the V6 MUST be linked as it has no internal modem. You can use either a long ethernet cable or Powerline connectors to do this. Although the V6 does have WiFi it needs a CLEAN signal (good strength & little or no contention on wireless channels at the location)

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

wrote:

Like you I have been offered the V6, and like you I do have many unwatched recordings. I have multi room so my old TiVo will replace the HD box.

As an experiment this morning I disconnected my TiVo box from the VM network and connected to another TV with an HDMI cable and was able to watch my recordings. The recordings are on the hard drive in the box, so maybe hang on to your old box for as long as possible and watch your recorded programmes.

The box will only work for a short time after being disconnected from the coax network. These boxes are programmed to "phone home" at set intervals to check they are still authorised. If they can't complete this after a few attempts they go into "lockdown" mode.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

I can have a free upgrade to a V6 box from my existing Tivo box. I know I can transfer over Series Links etc but I believe I will 'lose' the recordings on the swapped out Tivo box that I have not seen yet. 

My hub [which will need upgrading for the V6] is in a separate room at the other end of the house and can't be moved to the same room as the tv and so wondered if it is possible to connect the old Tivo box to the hub so that I can access the unseen recordings via the V6 box. I only have the one tv.

Any advice please

Why can't the hub be relocated close to the V6 and TV? After all, there is already a cable run to the TiVo, so another can be run alongside it to the hub. Virgin Media will charge you £99 for this.

If you want to leave your hub alone, run Ethernet cable (cat5e or cat6) from the hub to the V6. And if you want good WiFi in your TV room, run another cable at the same time for a WAP. Yes, it's a hassle and expense, but it only needs to be done once.

Thanks for this, Roger - that'd be the obvious solution but I have a couple of computers connected to the hub by ethernet and printers [by wifi] and their power sockets. Also I thought running another ethernet cable from that corner of the house around the skirting boards and over the doors to the living room where the tv is would make it a very long cable indeed - would that length -I'd guess some 40 feet or more- not cause problems with resistance in the cable?

The VM coax for the hub was brought into the house from the street junction by the shortest route [ to save digging a trench diagonally across in the front garden] and enters the house through the wall and joining up with the hub a couple of feet from entry. The coax for the Tivo box was run from the outside box on the external wall where hub coax enters and then round the outside of the house entering through the external wall of the living room where the Tivo and TV is, to a box on inner wall from where the coax runs round the skirting board a few feet to the Tivo box. 

Even given the distance of hub from living room Wifi signal in the living room is usually pretty good - for my tablet and phone anyway but not sure it'd be strong or constant enough for the V6 . Powerline adapters might be better.

I guess, if I go for the upgrade VM will want to send an engineer anyway. 

A 40-ft Ethernet cable is nothing to worry about as any good quality cat 5e or cat 6 cable up to 100 metres (285 feet) should be free of problems such as attenuation and crosstalk.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The only way to do this is add the old box on a multiroom account. It will require connecting to the coax cable to remain authorised as well as linking to the hub.

I will also point out that, whereas the TiVO is optionally linked to the Hub, the V6 MUST be linked as it has no internal modem. You can use either a long ethernet cable or Powerline connectors to do this. Although the V6 does have WiFi it needs a CLEAN signal (good strength & little or no contention on wireless channels at the location)

0 Kudos
Robert25312
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks nodrogd, most grateful.

The V6 would go on the coax cable that the existing Tivo box is on - when Virgin installed the system they ran an extra coax round the outside of the house from where the cable from the street enters the house in through the wall in the room the tv is in so that isn't a problem. The ethernet cable would have to be very long to run from where the hub is through to the opposite side of the house, to the V6 box. So if wi-fi not strong enough I'd use powerline adapters.

Need to give it some thought - may not be worth taking the upgrade.

0 Kudos
BlueGT
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Like you I have been offered the V6, and like you I do have many unwatched recordings. I have multi room so my old TiVo will replace the HD box.

As an experiment this morning I disconnected my TiVo box from the VM network and connected to another TV with an HDMI cable and was able to watch my recordings. The recordings are on the hard drive in the box, so maybe hang on to your old box for as long as possible and watch your recorded programmes.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

wrote:

The box will only work for a short time after being disconnected from the coax network. These boxes are programmed to "phone home" at set intervals to check they are still authorised. If they can't complete this after a few attempts they go into "lockdown" mode.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@wrote:

Any advice please

Why can't the hub be relocated close to the V6 and TV? After all, there is already a cable run to the TiVo, so another can be run alongside it to the hub. Virgin Media will charge you £99 for this.

If you want to leave your hub alone, run Ethernet cable (cat5e or cat6) from the hub to the V6. And if you want good WiFi in your TV room, run another cable at the same time for a WAP. Yes, it's a hassle and expense, but it only needs to be done once.

0 Kudos
Robert25312
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@wrote:

Thanks for this - it did seem an easy solution - perhaps too easy! as nodrogd's reply indicates.   Pity.Smiley Sad 

Still we live and learn

0 Kudos
Robert25312
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@wrote:

wrote:

Any advice please

Thanks for this, Roger - that'd be the obvious solution but I have a couple of computers connected to the hub by ethernet and printers [by wifi] and their power sockets. Also I thought running another ethernet cable from that corner of the house around the skirting boards and over the doors to the living room where the tv is would make it a very long cable indeed - would that length -I'd guess some 40 feet or more- not cause problems with resistance in the cable?

The VM coax for the hub was brought into the house from the street junction by the shortest route [ to save digging a trench diagonally across in the front garden] and enters the house through the wall and joining up with the hub a couple of feet from entry. The coax for the Tivo box was run from the outside box on the external wall where hub coax enters and then round the outside of the house entering through the external wall of the living room where the Tivo and TV is, to a box on inner wall from where the coax runs round the skirting board a few feet to the Tivo box. 

Even given the distance of hub from living room Wifi signal in the living room is usually pretty good - for my tablet and phone anyway but not sure it'd be strong or constant enough for the V6 . Powerline adapters might be better.

0 Kudos
Robert25312
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@wrote:

Useful  nodrogd- thanks.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

Any advice please

A 40-ft Ethernet cable is nothing to worry about as any good quality cat 5e or cat 6 cable up to 100 metres (285 feet) should be free of problems such as attenuation and crosstalk.

0 Kudos