Menu
Colinalbert
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Tivo V6

If i upgrade to the V6 and use my present Tivo as the spare box i will need either power line or my super hub relocated. Question one using power line would require plugging into a surge protection extension board , question two relocating my hub would move it from my computer where it is also connected by ethernet.
Any one who can give me a solution for my upgrade would be appreciated

Colin
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo V6

If you get a passthrough powerline set, then you can plug the surge-protected extension lead into the powerline, as it won't work the other way around.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
Colinalbert
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks but it would only work in my main room the other room where the Tivo would be is too far away from the socket so I'm a little stuck don't know where to turn now

Colin
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It's not that powerlines don't work when plugged into an extension socket, rather that performance suffers.

The Hub 3.0 end of my powerline pair is plugged into an extension socket but my V6 at the other end works perfectly well.

0 Kudos
Colinalbert
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks does the Tivo and V6 need plugging in to power lines or is it the super hub end and Tivo in spare room ? Tivo definitely would be in a surge protecter and super hub or the V6 unfortunately it's a wiring / socket problem in the house

Colin
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If the V6 is connected by wifi or direct Ethernet cable, it won't require a powerline adapter.

Tivo will require a powerline adapter as it is remote from your hub.

The hub requires a powerline adapter for other devices to get access to the hub over your electricity wiring.

0 Kudos
Colinalbert
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks it would be the Tivo in spare room definitely power lined and super hub approx 25 feet away in another room, the V6 hopefully using WI FI approx 15 feet away in a through lounge should connect wirelessly.

Colin
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Ernie_C wrote:

It's not that powerlines don't work when plugged into an extension socket, rather that performance suffers.

Agreed they do work when plugged into an extension lead, I'm less sure about what the surge protection will do to it though.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

PrinterElf wrote:

Ernie_C wrote:

Agreed they do work when plugged into an extension lead, I'm less sure about what the surge protection will do to it though.

Can't you plug the extension lead into the powerline pass-through and then run an Ethernet cable from the powerline parallel to the extension lead
0 Kudos
Colinalbert
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It's possible if i knew how long the ethernet cable is before i purchase the item

Colin
0 Kudos