Menu
MilesP
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Tivo V6 stopped recording

My Tivo V6 box stopped recording today. Can't even resume after pausing Live TV (as that also plays the Live TV that was recorded). I can watch TV OK and programmes that were recorded prior to the problem. Only had the box a few months, but it looks like there is a problem on the hard drive. 

Rebooting does not work and the first engineer slot available is in a week. The only other option is to completely clear the V6 memory and start again - losing all programmes and series links. Will give that a try, but even if that does work it does not explain why this happened in the first place.

I suspect I will be given a new V6 box. Not impressed with the reliability.

Anyone else had this problem and got any suggestions?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
MilesP
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Tivo V6 stopped recording

Clear the V6 completely last night and the problem is still there.

Seems like a hardware problem on the V6

0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Sounds more like it could've been an account problem ie VM messing up your account info and therefore stopping our ability to use the box to its fullest. But it is odd. You would usually get a message about an account problem 

All Replies
MilesP
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Clear the V6 completely last night and the problem is still there.

Seems like a hardware problem on the V6

0 Kudos
MilesP
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The V6 started recording again today. No explanation for this. Could an overnight update have fixed the problem? I doubt it somehow. I will monitor this for a few days before cancelling the engineer's visit.
0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Sounds more like it could've been an account problem ie VM messing up your account info and therefore stopping our ability to use the box to its fullest. But it is odd. You would usually get a message about an account problem 

MilesP
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Didn't know VM could do that. When I called the engineer he did not mention that, so either he did not know, or that was not the problem. When I looked at System Info on the V6 it said my account was in good standing, so probably not the problem. Nice to hear from a VM person if that could have been the problem.
I suspect it was a hard disk problem possibly to do with whatever they have for FAT on the disk. When I looked at one of the programs that failed to record, where it normally shows the recording length, it showed 31350... minutes - almost as if it was taking up all the disk space. Deleting that recording did not clear the problem.
Thanks for the reply though.
0 Kudos
MilesP
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

V6 stopped recording again. Must surely be a hardware problem. My wife is convinced it is to do with the new LG 4K TV. I have tried to explain that even when the TV is off, the V6 should still record. I know the HDCP handshake can prevent you from watching programs, but don't believe the TV could interfere with the recording function. Still, I could be wrong. If anyone knows different, please let me know.

0 Kudos