Menu
Paullaxton
Tuning in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Tivo V6 HDMI-CEC absence

I have recently taken delivery of the new Tivo V6 and am impressed with its speed and other attributes.  It is certainly an improvement over the previous Tivo so overloaded with software updates that the processor could no longer provide an efficient service..  However, it does not appear to have HDMI-CEC capability and no one seems to know why and whether Virgin Media intend an upgrade to install this function.  Can or will someone at Virgin please advise us of what plans, if any, are intended to improve the V6 with this addition to its capability.  Sky Q has one up on us at present!

0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo V6 HDMI-CEC absence

Haven't got mine yet but I've read here that you can control your tv with the remote. Is that not the same thing? (Genuine question! )

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I think it's a feature for those that prefer to keep remote button pushes to the minimum.

My Chromecast does it. You cast to Chromecast and CEC swaps your TV to the correct Source for Chromecast.

When you stop the cast, CEC, if TiVo or V6 had it, would swap your TV back to the HDMI source for TiVo or V6. Without CEC support on TiVo or V6, you have to push buttons on your TV remote to swap back to the HDMI source for your TiVo or V6.

Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Ah! Now that would be quite nice. But not the end of the world without. 

0 Kudos
Paullaxton
Tuning in
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Good day to all who responded to my query relating to the absence  of HDMI-CEC on the new V6 boxes.

I appreciate that the solution is a few presses on the TV remote control to switch between terrestrial and HDMI but my wife is a technophobe and doesn't fully understand the process (e.g. BBC terrestrial is channel 1 but on Tivo it is 101!).  With the old Tivo boxes, if connected to TV via a scart lead, the switch between terrestrial and Tivo was automatic when it was switched on, similar to our BluRay player.  My question remains unanswered.  Does Virgin Media intend to upgrade the V6 to enable HDMI-CEC or not?  Please don't forget in this digital age, the technophobes among us do expect the genii to perform this action automatically to make life simpler.

Merry Christmas to one and all and lets hope 2017 is a rewarding year.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I don't know if V6 can or will be made CEC capable but V6 does help a lot because I have no need to use Chromecast to access BBC iPlayer or Netflix because the apps for these application work quickly and seamlessly on V6 so there is no need to swap TV Source in the first place.

0 Kudos
g7rpo
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

If it makes you feel any better it doesnt appear to be available on Sky Q either, wondering if it might be a planned software update

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

g7rpo wrote:

If it makes you feel any better it doesnt appear to be available on Sky Q either, wondering if it might be a planned software update

Are you telling me the OP gave us incorrect information about the capability of SkyQ?

0 Kudos
optiknerv
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Gutted It doesn't have it. 

HDMI CEC is a great feature and it's a shame it isn't included.

An example of it in action is how my system is set up.

I have my TV, Surround sound amp and my Android PC all set up on HDMI CEC.

I power on my TV and this in turn automatically turns on my surround sound amp. If I use the volume buttons of my TV remote then this up/down command is passed through the HDMI cable and alters the volume on my surround sound amp. If I want to access my android PC then I can see it as an input source on my TV even though it is actually connected through my surround sound amp. When I select it it switches source to the amp and sends a command to the amp to change it's source to that of the Android PC as well as waking it from standby.

It just makes things all integrated and communicating with each other.

0 Kudos
scruffer04
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

optiknerv wrote:

Gutted It doesn't have it. 

HDMI CEC is a great feature and it's a shame it isn't included.

An example of it in action is how my system is set up.

I have my TV, Surround sound amp and my Android PC all set up on HDMI CEC.

I power on my TV and this in turn automatically turns on my surround sound amp. If I use the volume buttons of my TV remote then this up/down command is passed through the HDMI cable and alters the volume on my surround sound amp. If I want to access my android PC then I can see it as an input source on my TV even though it is actually connected through my surround sound amp. When I select it it switches source to the amp and sends a command to the amp to change it's source to that of the Android PC as well as waking it from standby.

It just makes things all integrated and communicating with each other.

It can go further than that, I use the TV remote to control the PS3 (say playing a Bluray/DVD) as the play/stop/FF/RW buttons etc on the TV remote are passed by the TV to the AV Amp and then onto the PS3. Great feature as I don't need to get the PS3 controller out. Nice if the V6 would also accept the same commands from the TV remote.

0 Kudos