Menu
Noggy1
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Tivo Upgrade to new EOS - will existing customers get a free Upgrade?

Hi I read a lot of press that Virgin will soon be supplying a new Tivo Box called EOS. Does anyone know when this will be coming out, and will existing customers be able to have this at no cost, and if so will existing recordings be transferable? And finally, what features will it have - would be like Sky's Q box? Virgin really haven't said very much!

0 Kudos
jhuk
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo Upgrade to new EOS - will existing customers get a free Upgrade?

I think you mean the TIVO V6...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

...or the Virgin TV V6.

0 Kudos
jhuk
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Never knew/heard of the above TBH, only the TIVO version.

I though the rumour was all others will eventually be put on to the older TIVO so only 2 boxes.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

EOS is the hardware.

The first implementation of this hardware for Virgin Media customers is called the Virgin TV V6 and it will (initially?) be running TiVo software.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Recordings are not transferable between boxes. The agreements Virgin has with the channel owners does not allow it. You can however transfer things like series links.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
oflix
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

This is a real shame and probably a deal breaker for me. I doubt I will ever get my current TiVo empty to enable a swap to V6 purely due to the way we watch tv nowadays. A series will build up then we'll have a few day binge on it and watch it all, during which time other things are recording, etc. Crazy how the channel owner won't allow a transfer (not looking to archive them off to keep forever or some such, just transfer them to another box - same issue with faulty/failing boxes).

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

...then you're stuck on TiVo forever (or until you watch what you have recorded).

0 Kudos
jbsco
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

New user - hoping to get the V6 soon!

I know of only one recorder that can archive, the Humax Freeview Play box, without users changing firmware. But this is a one way transfer and not to another box just a PC. The transfer is in SD and not whenthe TV station has put a flag in to stop transfer. 

It would be great to archive, but this is niche even for the UK. I'm just happy to get a box that does all the things TIVO does or will do. The SKYQ box doesn't come close, and is very buggy. My own personal experience. I'd like a 2nd screen that works through an app. SKYQ doesn't work well, lots of errors etc. Hoping to come to Virgin ASAP!

0 Kudos