Menu
Highlighted
Claret154
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Tivo 6 box installed. Told to re-use old Tivo box as a second box - get M63 error

Today I received my new Tivo6 box.  I followed all of the instructions and set it up... no problem.  I then noted the recommendation to swap out the second non-Tivo box and replace it with the old Tivo box.  The new box now shows an error message 'M63'.  Having undertaken some research, I now understand that I have to have a network connection between the old (Tivo) box and the hub to be able to record and play back.  I could record and playback with the old box without a network connection to the hub.  The recommendation seems a retrospective action, which results in less functionality than I had previously.  Am I missing something?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
av-115
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Tivo 6 box installed. Told to re-use old Tivo box as a second box - get M63 error

I'm a little confused, "the new box now shows an error message 'M63'" do you mean the TiVo or the V6? Also, are all your channels still displaying on the TiVo box?

The TiVo box does not need a network connection to the Superhub unless you want to stream recorded content between the 2 boxes. However, the V6 box does. Have you tried going to Help and Settings > Settings > Network and connecting to the Virgin Media service on the offending box?

If that doesn't work, give faults a ring and see what they have to say. They'll probably be able to sort this remotely.

--------------------------
TV: XL TV + Sky Sports (V6 & V+ HD)
Broadband: VIVID 200
Phone: Talk Unlimited
0 Kudos

All Replies
av-115
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Tivo 6 box installed. Told to re-use old Tivo box as a second box - get M63 error

I'm a little confused, "the new box now shows an error message 'M63'" do you mean the TiVo or the V6? Also, are all your channels still displaying on the TiVo box?

The TiVo box does not need a network connection to the Superhub unless you want to stream recorded content between the 2 boxes. However, the V6 box does. Have you tried going to Help and Settings > Settings > Network and connecting to the Virgin Media service on the offending box?

If that doesn't work, give faults a ring and see what they have to say. They'll probably be able to sort this remotely.

0 Kudos
fletch26
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Do you have a Superhub 3 ? As I’m pretty sure you need one to link a V6 to another TiVo of any kind.

0 Kudos
Claret154
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response.  The new V6 box is working fine.  It is the old Tivo box, which I have swapped out with the V+ box that is not working.  When I attempt to connect to Virgin Media services, I get a report that a 'Network Cable (is) unplugged'.  With the old V+ box, I could record to the box and playback.  In the current configuration of the Tivo box, all I can do is watch TV in a different room, which is less functionality than I had with the V+ box. 

0 Kudos
av-115
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

That error isn't referring to an ethernet cable, it's lost its connection to the Virgin Media network. The TiVo box doesn't need to be connected to the Superhub for it to work. The only other thing you can try is make sure the white coax cable is screwed in tight at the box and at the wall since that's where its network connection comes from.

Otherwise, you'll need to ring faults as you've got a signal issue or the box needs to be replaced. Personally, if you're not interested in streaming recordings between 2 boxes, I would have kept the V+ if it was still functional. Much more reliable.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Claret154

Welcome to the Community, I'm sorry for the problems you're experiencing with your service recently.

I've located your account to take a closer look and can see that you've been in touch with us since your last post and some hits have been sent to your TiVo box, which should get this sorted.

I hope this means that hings are working as they should? 

Look forward to hearing from you

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Claret154
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the message.  Yes... it is all sorted.  A very personable engineer came out last Monday; determined that the wrong box had been disconnected from the network (the Tivo box instead of the V+ box).  A quick phone call to the NOC and all sorted.  He also determined that the signal level to the second box was extremely high, so inserted a 10dB attenuator into the second cable.  

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Claret154

Thanks for taking the time to let me know about this, I'm glad to hear that the issue has been resolved. 

If you need any assistance with your services moving forward, you know where to find us.

Take care

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
paul_taylor
Up to speed
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

This is interesting, as i was just thinking of taking up this £20 offer that came in via email today.

We have a 2nd unit, an old V+ unit in our bedroom. So we can keep the tivo 500gb and put it in the bedroom ?.

Please can a VM rep confirm we are allowed to keep the old box ?.

HP, Dell, IBM/Lenovo Certified Server Hardware engineer.
0 Kudos
vircom
Well-informed
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I was given the choice of which box would be replaced by the V6. Just make it clear when ordering the new V6.

EDIT: My V6 and Tivo are connected to a Hub 2.
0 Kudos