Menu
RobertE1960
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

TiVO V6 user guide and installation question

I had my TIVO V6 installed recently and wondered should I have been left a user guide?
Also I have since read that my super hub should have been relocated during the installation to allow an ethernet connection from the super hub to the V6 box? The engineer connected the V6 box to the super hub via wifi, is this connection adequate?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVO V6 user guide and installation question

You can download the user guide from this link: https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

Provided the signal is strong enough a WiFi connection will be adequate.  If it becomes problematic then either a direct Ethernet connection or connection via powerline adaptors can be used.

JulianMHall
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Regarding internet connection, I would actually say probably not. My TiVo has a wired connection to the router via Powerplug adaptors. Streaming Catchup TV can be glitchy even then, particularly on BBC iPlayer - but then I blame the iPlayer app for that and not the connection. If you compound that by watching streaming video in HD you'll need a good connection. I suggest investing in a pair of Powerplug adaptors, they give a reliable connection and are much faster than WiFi.

By comparison, streaming catchup TV on the TiVo in my bedroom a few feet from the router is much more stable. That is on a wired Ethernet connection.

Kind regards,

Julian

PS Would Virginmedia consider supplying Powerplug adaptors to customers whose WiFi is too weak to stream properly?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

JulianMHall wrote:

PS Would Virginmedia consider supplying Powerplug adaptors to customers whose WiFi is too weak to stream properly?

By default, Virgin Media will ensure the Virgin TV V6 box is installed in the same room as the Hub. Any other install may involve extra chargeable kit.

So Powerline is available, but it is a paid option - www.virginmedia.com/powerline

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Also, if JulianMHall is using a TiVo rather than the new V6 box then catch up streaming is done via the TiVo's built-in modem, which can be slow as it is limited to 10Mbps.

JulianMHall
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ah I beg your pardon.. I missed the important V6 in the description.. yes I use the original TiVo.

Kind regards,

Julian

bobhughes100
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

My tivo6 box takes ages to "wake up"
Should I be turning it off with the remote or should I just leave it on
I have been sat here now for 20 minutes and it's still "waking up"
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

HI bobhughes100

Sorry to hear about this, how are you currently turning it off? A reboot can help a lot in situations like this if that's something you've not tried. 

I've tested the box from our end and we're not detecting any errors at the moment, does this happen every time you wake the box up or just sometimes?

Talk soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Fredup
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Added TV to my package with V6 box in my downstairs room , my router is upstairs in my study/office. Wi-fi no problems at all, V6 settings show 60% "good" and a very fast speed. My only gripe is that the V6 has minimal connectivity, unlike the Sky box it replaced, with only HDMI and optical audio so no easy connection to a second screen in another room or to a pre-digital, quality stereo sound system.

0 Kudos