Menu
hermeneut
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thinking of sending the V6 back

After over a decade as a customer, I am really tired of being a paying beta tester for VM's hardware and its disastrous software.

Yes, the speed on the V6 is welcome. But the box, or rather its software, is a bug-ridden mess:

1. I can't select favourites; pressing either thumb under help > settings > favourites causes *nothing* to happen.
2. despite the fact that auto-standby is turned off, daytime recordings don't happen; my wife has the new James Martin series set but it doesn't record. When we get home, the box's white light is on, but when we turn on the TV, we get the 'starting up' screen, and channels appear as 'unauthorised' for several minutes.
3. the box chokes if coming out of My Recordings to TV; it stutters when a recording starts or stops on the same channel one is watching; this is 2017, and this still happens?! I've never seen it on Sky;
4. On Demand remains as flaky as ever;
5. there continue to be SD menus, on an OS designed for 4K — laughable;
6. Netflix doesn't work (and no, I don't have DNS issues);
7. catch-up services such as ITV Player and All4 are broadcast in the lowest level of SD... perhaps not VM's fault, but boost the bandwidth!

In other words, if VM didn't provide the best broadband speeds, I'd be away.

It's clear that the TiVo software is bug-ridden and not fit for a modern TV platform. The Arris hardware might be powerful, but it appears to be as badly served by its software as the Superhub 3 was for almost a year.

Not a happy customer, I'm afraid. I haven't phoned CS because the installer told me the call centres know nothing about the V6.

Any VM staff comment here?
0 Kudos
Stratman1971
Up to speed
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Thinking of sending the V6 back

It seems to work fine for most people, including myself.

You must have a faulty box, so you should get it swapped out.

0 Kudos
hermeneut
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Really? So you don't experience *any* of these issues?

- No black screen coming from My Recordings?

- No pause as recordings start or stop on the same channel you're watching?

- No UI inconsistency on an allegedly cutting-edge media platform?

- No problems with Netflix? (This forum says otherwise.)

Please. The notion that this is a one-off is not borne out by the contents of the TiVo forum or the growing complaints on the V6 forum. The fact remains that we are paying to be beta-testers. I, at least, am near the end of my tether on that.
0 Kudos
deans6571
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

hermeneut wrote:
After over a decade as a customer, I am really tired of being a paying beta tester for VM's hardware and its disastrous software.

Yes, the speed on the V6 is welcome. But the box, or rather its software, is a bug-ridden mess:

1. I can't select favourites; pressing either thumb under help > settings > favourites causes *nothing* to happen.
2. despite the fact that auto-standby is turned off, daytime recordings don't happen; my wife has the new James Martin series set but it doesn't record. When we get home, the box's white light is on, but when we turn on the TV, we get the 'starting up' screen, and channels appear as 'unauthorised' for several minutes.
3. the box chokes if coming out of My Recordings to TV; it stutters when a recording starts or stops on the same channel one is watching; this is 2017, and this still happens?! I've never seen it on Sky;
4. On Demand remains as flaky as ever;
5. there continue to be SD menus, on an OS designed for 4K — laughable;
6. Netflix doesn't work (and no, I don't have DNS issues);
7. catch-up services such as ITV Player and All4 are broadcast in the lowest level of SD... perhaps not VM's fault, but boost the bandwidth!

In other words, if VM didn't provide the best broadband speeds, I'd be away.

It's clear that the TiVo software is bug-ridden and not fit for a modern TV platform. The Arris hardware might be powerful, but it appears to be as badly served by its software as the Superhub 3 was for almost a year.

Not a happy customer, I'm afraid. I haven't phoned CS because the installer told me the call centres know nothing about the V6.

Any VM staff comment here?

Have to say that I have experienced some of these issues - and I'm now on my second box!!! Most notably, points 2 and 3 above. My box would ALWAYS switch itself On (white light) by itself, whenever I left it in Standby(red light) although, I've found a workaround for that now, and it doesn't happen anymore (apart from the odd Saturday but my old TiVo used to do that as well so could be VM sending a signal causing it to turn on). 

Issue 2 - The V6 would stay on the Starting Up screen, until such time that I turned the TV On whereby it would then boot to the Home Menu. I have found though, that if I go to the Settings and then Power Settings and have the "Snooze" function turned OFF and with "Suggestions" also turned OFF, my box no longer turns itself on by itself. 

Issue 3 - I'm afraid that even my V6 STILL does this. Pixelates on the second recording when back to back recordings are scheduled on the same channel. My TiVo did this and I am amazed that the V6 STILL does this🙄  

Personally, they should have shot the whole TiVo software altogether and put a completely different version on the V6 or at least cure the bugs before installing it on such a spec box. The box itself os good but it's let down by naff firmware. However, the TiVo's firmware was pretty shoddy when it first came out so there is hope for the V6 yet!!!

hermeneut
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Let us hope there is hope — but why they didn't just kill off TiVo, especially now that it is in a death spiral thanks to its US buy-out — and introduce the considerably more modern Liberty platform is a mystery we're all paying for.