Menu
Merlinman
Dialled in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

TV6 Distorted sound?

TV6 installed today - finding our way around it. Needed to reset video input to 1080 and also set up home network on old 1TB Tivo box resited in bedroom. Despite leaving a connected ethernet cable by the old Tivo it wasn't connected as I'd hoped/expected. I managed to sort that myself!

Problem now with intermittent sound distortion on TV6 connected TV (Panasonic). Happens whether or not external speakers are connected, lasts for variable unpredictable periods, but intensely annoying.

Additionally why doesn't the volume control work on the remote?

Ideas please or should I reluctantly get the installers back?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: TV6 Distorted sound?

Can try this:

Check  Settings > Audio > Dolby Digital.

It you have a 5.1 surround sound system connected to TiVo - use 'Dolby Digital' - otherwise use 'Dolby Digital to PCM'

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS)
VIVID 350 Optical Fibre (350/20mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Merlinman

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you're experiencing with your new V6 box.

Are you noticing these sound issues occur after trying ozsat's suggestion? Are you also noticing these issues occur on certain channels or at a certain time of day?

Look forward to hearing from you

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

All Replies
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Can try this:

Check  Settings > Audio > Dolby Digital.

It you have a 5.1 surround sound system connected to TiVo - use 'Dolby Digital' - otherwise use 'Dolby Digital to PCM'

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS)
VIVID 350 Optical Fibre (350/20mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Merlinman

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you're experiencing with your new V6 box.

Are you noticing these sound issues occur after trying ozsat's suggestion? Are you also noticing these issues occur on certain channels or at a certain time of day?

Look forward to hearing from you

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Merlinman
Dialled in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Craig. We've tried everything we can think of, including different TV HDMI feeds and cables. It happens at totally random intervals, sometimes it corrects itself, but we can 'cure' it by switching (Panasonic Viera) TV of and on again!

Is it the box, we wonder?

We are really loving the improvements over the Tivo and the ability to 'share' saved programmes!
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hey Merlinman

Thanks for the fast response, do you have any other devices that are connected to your TV at the moment? If so, how's the sound on them?

Lastly, did you have your previous set top box plugged into the same TV? If so, I'm guessing that worked well?

Talk soon

Craig

0 Kudos
Merlinman
Dialled in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

TV6 is to HDMI 

HDMI 2 is Amazon Prime

HDMI 3 is switch with Apple TV, Ext lead to Apple Lightning & Chromecast!

Also have Edifier speaker system fed from TV audio output! Disconnecting that makes no difference either!

All of these disconnected, have no effect on distortion!

Never any issues with Tivo with all these plugged in!

Next step is to make direct ethernet connection to TV6, rather than TP-Link 500mps Powerlink!

Old Tivo now in bedroom is fed via Netgear Ethernet extender - works fine!

Thanks for your help - always open to further suggestions!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

HI Merlinman

Thanks again for getting back to me so soon, it's certainly a strange issue. As you've tried so much we'd really like to rule out the box as a potential cause of the problem, with that in mind I'd like to arrange for a member of the team to come and take a look.

I've sent you information regarding this in a private message, which you can view by clicking the envelope on the top right of this page.

We'll talk soon

Craig

0 Kudos
Yozzer
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Was this problem fixed?

We have a V6 installed a few months ago, and the sound has become intermittently distorted, but works OK using the TV internal Freeview.

I have tried the suggestions in this thread with regards to Dolby settings, but the problem remains the same. We have no other devices connected to the TV, (I did have my PC on HDMI 2 but I have now disconnected this to narrow the problem.)

We have the original TIVO working OK in the bedroom.

The fault only occurs once or twice a day, sounds like a radio slightly off tune.  Anything else I can try?

0 Kudos
jannerKev
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi, we have had a v6 box installed recently & are having exactly the same problem. We never had any problems when we had a TiVo box, but ever since we changed over it sounds as you have described, wish we stayed as we were with the TiVo! Did you get it sorted & if so how did you do it? Many thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi jannerKev,

Welcome to the Community!

I'm really sorry to hear you're having trouble with your sound.

I've run diagnostics on your equipment and I can see an issue with your Downstream power levels that will need to be adjusted by a technician. I've sent you a private message (purple envelope at the top right of your screen) so I can arrange an appointment.

Speak soon

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos