Menu
ccranstone
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

TV V6 network connection

I currently have the following setup;

Superhub  and a 16 port network switch on 1st floor where most kit is attached, Ethernet cable from Superhub to ground floor where a Netgear Ethernet switch connects to the Tivo, the TV and the DVD player

I have ordered a new V6 box to replace the Tivo, the Tivo will be re-sited to the first floor near the Superhub.

Will my cabling layout still work OK? From a networking point of view I can see no reason why not but there seems to be lots of smoke and mirrors regarding V6 connections and how they should be done.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Tudor
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: TV V6 network connection

Should be fine, both my TiVo and V6 go through a 24 port Netgear switch. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos

All Replies
Tudor
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Should be fine, both my TiVo and V6 go through a 24 port Netgear switch. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Similar here except the V6 and the Tivo are connected to separate switches which connect back to the router. This method is far superior to either WiFi, dependent on your environment, or powerlines, where the signal level can be affected by various factors.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Do you have a coax where the Tivo is going? Or if not did you tell them the tivo needs installing? Tivo will also need an ethernet so you can see both boxes from the other.

0 Kudos
ccranstone
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Corinneangela wrote:

Do you have a coax where the Tivo is going? Or if not did you tell them the tivo needs installing? Tivo will also need an ethernet so you can see both boxes from the other.

Perhaps my original post was not clear so to summarise:-

I have an existing Tivo box with coax and also Ethernet via a Netgear switch, this will be replaced by the V6.

In a different room I have a Superhub which of course has coax and Ethernet, the old Tivo will be set up here.

0 Kudos
huwlong
Just joined
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

So, I have upgraded to a V6 and want to move my Tivo to the bedroom, replacing the pre Tivo unit. 

Question : I have tried to connect Tivo to Ethernet but tells me cable unplugged. I have Super hub to Apple extreme : to Cisco 20 port hub : to BT flex 1000 1gb extender (living room) : to BT flex 1000 1gb extender (Bedroom) : to original Tivo.

No matter what I do I keep getting cable unplugged. I've tested the network connection with my laptop and my Smart TV and works fine with both.

V6 is connected to the Cisco Switch and works fine.

Any ideas, am I missing something or is there just too much going on on my network? 

Any ideas would be appreciated

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

When you arranged the V6 was it as an additional box or as a replacement and for which box, TiVo or pre-TiVo box?

Is the TiVo connected to the cable network co-ax as well as to your home network?

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Cable unplugged message is tivo saying co ax is not connected from tivo to virgin ,probably

For tivo, the ethernet connect is an optional addition used only for remote control, tivo will not report lack.of that as an error. What it must have  is coax to its dedicated 20mb feed

0 Kudos