Menu
gclaridgehunt
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 26
Flag for a moderator

TUVO SPEED and V6 TIVO "Repacement"

Just got some sense out of 2 calls to Virgin,  Firstly, I was told today that the V6 Box is being releasead on 30th November (Information from Sales)

Secondly the speed problem of the TIVO impacts on every single box in the Country at the moment.  The latest major software upgrades had some unexpected consequences on the network and they are being worked on.  No quick fixes or work arounds.  That is just a load of puff to make you think they know what is going on.

I have just been told (as if you hadn't already guessed) that there is no fix date in sight.  The V6 may arrive before the TIVO box speeds up

barrylowry
Superfast
Message 2 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Re: TUVO SPEED and V6 TIVO "Repacement"

gclaridgehunt wrote:

Just got some sense out of 2 calls to Virgin,  Firstly, I was told today that the V6 Box is being releasead on 30th November (Information from Sales)

Secondly the speed problem of the TIVO impacts on every single box in the Country at the moment.  The latest major software upgrades had some unexpected consequences on the network and they are being worked on.  No quick fixes or work arounds.  That is just a load of puff to make you think they know what is going on.

I have just been told (as if you hadn't already guessed) that there is no fix date in sight.  The V6 may arrive before the TIVO box speeds up

The  real question is  will we long suffering TIVO users be forced to upgrade and pay extra, to get a box (V6) that is actually of merchantable quality and can deliver the services we pay through the nose for or will  we be otherwise left with a sub standard box  with promises of fixes that will never materialise once the new box is out. Given the  price rises VM have annouced and  the utter  bollacksfest the TIVO is at the moment, VM  should simply be replacing our TIvos  with the V6  free of charge but when has VM ever done the right thing. 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 26
Flag for a moderator

I doubt anyone in sales has been given the release date and all information you were given came from the 'make it up department'

Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 4 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Plus since the V6 box runs on the same network won't it also be slowed down ?!

0 Kudos
Leyland
Dialled in
Message 5 of 26
Flag for a moderator

As Parrotperson points out. If there is a "network problem", then I wouldn't expect upgrading the box to have any impact.

__
2 x TiVo 1TB & 512GB - XL Package | BT Infinity :-) | Retired IT Professional :-) :-)
0 Kudos
gclaridgehunt
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 26
Flag for a moderator

I wouldn't argue with you on that one

0 Kudos
gclaridgehunt
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Good point.  The guy I spoke to said that it was "faster than **bleep** off a shovel.

Please construe your own meaning from this.

Just to take up a point earlier is whether you believe ANYTHING you are told by Virgin.

Seriously, I would hope that you would,  BUT the fact that they had not reacted corporately to what is manifestly a major problem across the nation tells a disappointing story

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
gclaridgehunt
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Duly noted and reprimand accepted

0 Kudos
andrewilley
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Why would a network problem cause something that should be a local activity (such as displaying the list of recorded shows on the local HDD, or starting to play one) to slow down? That should work fine even if you completely unplug the network cable. My Virgin Bulls**t detector is tingling...

Andre

gclaridgehunt
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Andre,

I agree with you about the smell.  It adds weight to my little bit of information that it is a national problem caused entirely by the recent "improvements" in downloaded software.

The REAL Bull is that Virgin do not have the confidence or the courage to own up to the problem and keep everyone informed by way of sites such as this one.

Graham

[MOD EDIT: Bad language has been removed from this post. Please review the Forum Guidelines]