Menu
PaulyP
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Switch From Sky to Virgin Questions

Hi All.

I am looking at a possible/probable switch from Sky to Virgin TV and have a few questions.
I am currently a Sky TV subscriber - full package including Cinema and Sports channels and multiroom with HD. Currently paying about £95 a month for that - before the imminent price rise (yet again - 3rd in a little over a year I think!). I am with Virgin for broadband (160MB and telephone - talk anytime) – about £65 a month. I've been with both sky and virgin (previously ntl) for about 15 years for separate services but given all the price rises I'm looking at saving money and the VIP pack seems to give me almost everything for £120 a month, but switching after 15 years is a scary thing.

I also want to move away from sky because of their new focus on sky q and streaming everything from a single box to all other devices around the house. Why on earth would I want to mix up all my recordings with my son's who is on the other multiroom box and have to wade through all his recordings to find the programs I want to watch and why would he want to look through all mine to find his. I hate the idea - seems to have been designed by people who live alone or don't have teenage kids Smiley Wink

Anyway, my questions:

1. I’ve been reluctant to switch to TIVO for the first gen box as it was waaaay to slow… it would have driven me nuts! How are people’s experiences with the V6 box? Is it now spritely in it’s workings?

2. What are the main channels I lose in going from Sky to Virgin. It seems on the max packages is about 240 channels on virgin and 350 on sky. I know about Sky Atlantic which I very rarely watch anyway and so not bothered about that, but any other’s that you can think of?

3. As I mentioned above, I’d hate the idea of having all programs one box. I know V6s can be linked to view programs from one box on the another but can it be set up so that both work independently and are not connected – which is my preference? From the forum posts I’ve seen it seems linking doesn’t work through wifi? I’d rather the boxes were hardwired to the network if possible but is there an option in the settings maybe to turn sharing off?

4. For the main box that I use, I’d like to be able to see the same program on the main TV, the TV in my bedroom and in my office. Is it possible to display the same feeds through coax cables? I obviously don’t want to have 4 boxes when I can only watch one at once.

5. If you can feed the same TV to other devices by coax cable can the V6 box be controlled by an app, rather than remote?

6. I know new customers get VIP for £85 a month for a year and then £120 then on. How long are the contracts for and do you think I’d get a good deal to get me to finally move away from sky completely?

7. Are there not many people on V6 right now. I expected to see loads of videos on you -tube of the box and the menus, and review of it etc – but there is hardly anything at all.

8. Finally, if you’re on Tivo V6 and would like to switch to Sky – can you tell me why?

Many thanks for any help with these questions you can give.
Much appreciated.

Paul.

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Switch From Sky to Virgin Questions

1. The V6 that comes with the VIP is very fast
2. Sky Atlantic is the only Main channel I can think of
3. The boxes have there own HDD each, you can view recordings from another box but they are kept in a separate section
4. This is not easily done, the V6 box does not have a SCART ot RF output, it is possible but is not as easy as older boxes
5. The Remote is RF not infared so works through walls
6. As you are already a virgin customer I doubt you will get even the £85 offer
0 Kudos
Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

To follow up on last post.. Virgin doesn't have the UHD sports either (but then Sky doesn't have BT Sports.)

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

1. Don't have a V6 yet, but the general consensus seems to be that 10x faster than the original VM TiVo isn't far from the mark.
  2. Sky Atlantic is pretty much it that you're likely to notice, that and the UHD sports channels, but then no-one is sharing those at the moment in a bid to get their own subscribers. Best thing you can do is check what you do actually record/watch from the Planner, and check the same channels still exist on VM
    https://my.virginmedia.com/content/dam/virgoBrowse/docs/VirginMediaTVChannelGuide.pdf
  3. The V6s have to be connected to your internet connection regardless. This means that they wiil be able to see each other's recordings, but unlike Sky Q, they are independent boxes and will function perfectly well without the other operating. I think you can disable the sharing, but not had cause to.
  4. Not unless you have an HDMI splitter and HDMI to RF converter, no.
  5. They can, yes.
  6. Vary between 12 & 18 mths.
  7. Only really been installing since the start of the year. There's not really much to review - it's the same experience & UI as TiVo, just faster.
  8. I suffered 2 years of Sky as recently as 18 mths ago and you couldn't pay me to go back.
    • Yes the box is (well was if you're looking at a V6) a little more responsive, but this thing was stupid enough to cancel its own series links if the show was off air for a week, on one of their own channels no less.
    • It won't resolve recording clashes for you.
    • Looking specifically at the Sky Q, the main box is a single point of failure - if it dies, everything dies.
    • V6s won't eat your wifi or broadband bandwidth for multiroom. Sky Q's multiroom option means you need ti stream the content over an already congested wifi spectrum to the mini-boxes.
    • Even if they increase the number of available recording tuners on the main box to (I think) 8, you'll still have more with two V6 boxes.
    • UX wise I've never understood the Sky system. The Planner is also the My Shows list?! The Sky Q UI apparently goes even further towards a picture based UI, meaning more scrolling or button presses to get anywhere.
    • If it's your thing, there's no Netflix, YouTube, Vevo, or HayU* apps on Sky.
      *Full disclosure, HayU have yet to update their app to work on the V6, but the intent is there.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

PrinterElf wrote:
 The Sky Q UI apparently goes even further towards a picture based UI, meaning more scrolling or button presses to get anywhere.

I find the picture lists on Netflix and Prime irritating. Give me a text list any day and, since the V6 resolves the speed issues on the Tivo boxes, I find it easy to manage and negotiate.

I have been in the IT business since well before the web and it really annoys me when an easy to navigate website is replaced by one full of pictures and gadgets. The appropriate headings in the title bar is good enough and usually far more efficient to move round.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Youtube and Vevo apps are on SkyQ - but they are the only two currently offered.

For me Talking Pictures for me is a bigger 'must have' over Sky Atantic Smiley Wink

Don't forget a big issue is that if you already have a TiVo and upgrade to V6 - if you are keeping your old TiVo box you can still access you old recordings on the new V6 box if your old box is connected to your network

PrinterElf wrote:
  1. Don't have a V6 yet, but the general consensus seems to be that 10x faster than the original VM TiVo isn't far from the mark.
  2. Sky Atlantic is pretty much it that you're likely to notice, that and the UHD sports channels, but then no-one is sharing those at the moment in a bid to get their own subscribers. Best thing you can do is check what you do actually record/watch from the Planner, and check the same channels still exist on VM
    https://my.virginmedia.com/content/dam/virgoBrowse/docs/VirginMediaTVChannelGuide.pdf
  3. The V6s have to be connected to your internet connection regardless. This means that they wiil be able to see each other's recordings, but unlike Sky Q, they are independent boxes and will function perfectly well without the other operating. I think you can disable the sharing, but not had cause to.
  4. Not unless you have an HDMI splitter and HDMI to RF converter, no.
  5. They can, yes.
  6. Vary between 12 & 18 mths.
  7. Only really been installing since the start of the year. There's not really much to review - it's the same experience & UI as TiVo, just faster.
  8. I suffered 2 years of Sky as recently as 18 mths ago and you couldn't pay me to go back.
    • Yes the box is (well was if you're looking at a V6) a little more responsive, but this thing was stupid enough to cancel its own series links if the show was off air for a week, on one of their own channels no less.
    • It won't resolve recording clashes for you.
    • Looking specifically at the Sky Q, the main box is a single point of failure - if it dies, everything dies.
    • V6s won't eat your wifi or broadband bandwidth for multiroom. Sky Q's multiroom option means you need ti stream the content over an already congested wifi spectrum to the mini-boxes.
    • Even if they increase the number of available recording tuners on the main box to (I think) 8, you'll still have more with two V6 boxes.
    • UX wise I've never understood the Sky system. The Planner is also the My Shows list?! The Sky Q UI apparently goes even further towards a picture based UI, meaning more scrolling or button presses to get anywhere.
    • If it's your thing, there's no Netflix, YouTube, Vevo, or HayU* apps on Sky.
      *Full disclosure, HayU have yet to update their app to work on the V6, but the intent is there.

- but they are the only two

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS)
VIVID 350 Optical Fibre (350/20mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Since Talking Pictures is already available on Freeview and Freesat, which presumably the OP will have access to if he still has a Sky box, then why would this be a big deal to consider if switching from Sky to Virgin, the subject of this thread?

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
PaulyP
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for all the responses guys. I've only just got back home so will digest over the next day or so and feed back to individual comments then. Having had a quick read through I'd say I'm about 95% there in terms of deciding to move TV to virgin. A few more things I need to ask over the next couple of days but just for a start:

Are there any restrictions on installation for TV? I'd be installing one box in the main house and the other in the flat/office in the back garden. The flat is where I currently have the virgin router located. The cable run from one to the other is about 50m. 

Many thanks for all the help. 

Paul

P.S - never heard of talking pictures so I guess I wont miss that one... I'd better not go and look at it now though in case I like it Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If you already have the SuperHub down there, then it should be fine. Might need a check of the signal levels, but if everything's working fine now, you may get away with a self install if the cable points are in the right place.

Bear in mind you *will* need an internet connection to both boxes.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos