Menu
daveaegginton
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Super Hub 3

Do you have to have a super hub 3 for V6 and can V6 be connected via wifi?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Super Hub 3

It can be connected via wifi, but a wired connection is preferable in order to guarantee connection speed.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
Peteranne
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

can a V6 be connected to a superhub2?, or does it need to be connected to a superhub3?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If your SH2 is backed by at least a 100Mbps broadband connection, then it should be fine.

To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi daveaegginton, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

The minimum requirement for the V6 box is a Superhub 2 and 100mb. 

You are able to connect the V6 box to your hub via wireless too but we would prefer it, and recommend connecting via ethernet cable instead Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
bobblejones
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

i have mine coming in a few weeks. I currently have SH2 and 200mb line but i use the SH2 in passthrough mode and use an Apple Airport tombroadcast WiFi around the house.

Should the V6 be connected to Airport through Ethernet?

Matt

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes, customers using their Superhub in Modem Mode with an attached router will need to connect V6 to their router (via one of the three possible options - Ethernet cable, wifi or powerline).

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I assume that my network set up is ready for the V6 despite the fact that my SH2 is located in a room in the centre of the house while the Tivo to be replaced is located in the living room at the front of the house.  The location is defined by two realities, that it is a large, old, house with internal walls as thick as the external walls of many modern houses and the fact that we have adult children who, constantly, access the internet via WiFi.  I also have a WiFi booster.

I, on the other hand, prefer wired connections where possible and this is very relevant to the V6 installation. I have just upgraded parts of my network and I run a cable from the router to one side of the living room where it joins a gigabit switch. I use that for my laptop, from where I am posting, and speed tests give me results in the range 205 - 221 Mbps. An output cable from that switch runs around the walls to the opposite corner where the TV and AV equipment is housed and into another 8 port gigabit switch to which is connected a number of devices, including the Tivo (which I have not used for MRS up until now), an Amazon Fire box and a Now TV box. Both of the latter provide excellent service.

A speed test on the second switch, to which the V6 will be attached, gives results in the range 217-223 Mbps. I suspect that my installation will meet the requirements.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

As long as it's on the same internal network this should be more than adequate.

Last time I looked the highest bandwidth content was BBC in HD which ran at ~18Mbps so, with a great degree of headroom, as you can sustain 25Mbps and burst to 50Mbps it'll be fine.

The same numbers (maybe up to 25% higher) will apply if you have a desire to stream 4K from Netflix.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

PrinterElf wrote:

As long as it's on the same internal network this should be more than adequate.

Last time I looked the highest bandwidth content was BBC in HD which ran at ~18Mbps so, with a great degree of headroom, as you can sustain 25Mbps and burst to 50Mbps it'll be fine.

The same numbers (maybe up to 25% higher) will apply if you have a desire to stream 4K from Netflix.

Good news, I just set up my new connection to the other Tivo and can see the My Shows on from either box.

Bad news, the cable layout is only temporary at this  point and there will be hell to pay when the boss comes home. I will tidy it all up, honestly.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos